Parks & Recreation Community Organizer
Posted by on March 05, 2013
Department: Office of the Deputy Mayor Environmental & Community Resources/
Parks & Recreation Commissioner
Title: Parks & Recreation Community Organizer
Type: Exempt full-time, must establish residency in the City of Philadelphia within 6 months of appointment
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Deputy Mayor for Environmental & Community Resources/Parks & Recreation Commissioner is responsible for the management of the 10,600 acre, Fairmount Park and Recreation system. The Office also oversees the operation of all City of Philadelphia recreation facilities, programs, and events. In addition, the Deputy Mayor provides leadership for the Free Library of Philadelphia with 54 libraries located across Philadelphia.
The Deputy Mayor seeks a Community Organizer who will report to the Special Assistant to the Deputy Mayor as well as having a formal relationship to the Director of Stewardship. The position requires an energetic, hardworking, and organized person to help build community capacity and support for Parks & Recreation facilities system wide.
- Provide direct program support to creating Friends organizations in Cobbs Creek and Tacony Parks working with Director of Stewardship, Volunteer Coordinators and community organizations in surrounding neighborhoods;
- Do on-the-ground organizing work to build support for the above listed watershed parks as well as specific neighborhood parks and recreation centers (in response to strategic and specific objectives);
- Provide staffing for PPR 5K runs in the watershed parks including organizing community support groups for volunteer recruitment, sponsorship and outreach/publicity;
- Work with program staff to provide help building community capacity to support PPR special projects as part of strategic initiatives, i.e. expansion of youth development opportunities in specific neighborhoods;
- Assist in supporting Advisory Councils including, training for members
- A skills set in building community meetings, identifying community leaders and leadership opportunities, and connecting people to meaningful work and resources;
- Demonstrated experience in community organizing in diverse communities for a minimum of three years; Philadelphia experience preferred but not required;
- Strong communications skills including in person, leading meetings, written communications;
- Computer literate and comfortable with social media;
- Highly organized and the ability to respond immediately and effectively to community issues and questions;
- Knowledge of public policy issues impacting children and youth in Philadelphia;
- Demonstrated ability and comfort in working in diverse communities; bi-lingual language skills preferable but not required;
- Ability to facilitate respectful accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act;
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
For more information or to submit a resume/cover letter please email Patrick Morgan, Chief of Staff, Office of the Deputy Mayor Environmental & Community Resources/Parks & Recreation Commissioner at [email protected]
- Assistant Director, Scholar Recruitment & Success (Catto Scholarship), Community College of Philadelphia
- Chief Racial Equity Officer, City of Philadelphia
- Engagement Partnerships Consulting Manager, City of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.