volunteers needed, Read to Me Literacy Program
Posted by ACHIEVEability on November 17, 2014
Read to Me Literacy Program Volunteer Opportunity
ACHIEVEability is a non-profit organization working to permanently break the generational cycle of poverty for low income, single parent, and homeless families through higher education, affordable housing, supportive services, community and economic development, and accountability.
Overall Purpose and Objective of Position: To offer academic support through tutoring and programming to children.
Program Description: Read to Me Literacy Program is a structured coaching program to help students increase their reading comprehension which will help with their math computation skills. The program helps support childhood literacy by providing quality classroom book collections to thousands of Philadelphia students and inspires them to read with their parents, caregivers, or teachers throughout the school year. Each book includes a list of story-related questions to help parents and teachers engage children with reading strategies that develop oral language, background knowledge, vocabulary, and comprehension skills. Volunteers will work one on one with youth K-12, 2 hours a week coaching them through the reading curriculum.
- Must have completed a background clearance check
- Complete a child abuse clearance
- Passion for working with youth
- Teaching or tutoring experience preferred, though not required
- Training: Volunteers must attend a tutoring training session, after which they must commit to one volunteer session a week for the duration of a semester.
Schedule: Typical tutoring hours for children are: Tuesday nights from 4:00-6:00pm.
Geographic Location of Work: Tutoring will take place at the 21 South 61st Street office.
For more information please contact Brittany Lewis, Academic Coach at ACHIEVEability at 215-748-8818 or Brittany.Lewis@achieve-ability.org.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Juvenile Diversion Academic Internship
- Explore STEM Philly-Chester Seeking STEM Volunteers
- College, Career, and Community Fair Partner Registration – Oct 13
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.