Research in the Formation of Engineers (RFE)
Posted by National Science Foundation on August 14, 2017
The NSF Engineering (ENG) Directorate has launched a multi-year initiative, the Professional Formation of Engineers, to create and support an innovative and inclusive engineering profession for the 21st Century. Professional Formation of Engineers (PFE) refers to the formal and informal processes and value systems by which people become engineers. It also includes the ethical responsibility of practicing engineers to sustain and grow the profession in order to improve quality of life for all peoples. The engineering profession must be responsive to national priorities, grand challenges, and dynamic workforce needs; and it must be equally open and accessible to all.
Professional Formation includes, but is not limited, to:
- Introductions to the profession at any age;
- Development of deep technical and professional skills, knowledge, and abilities in both formal and informal settings/domains;
- Development of outlooks, perspectives, ways of thinking, knowing, and doing;
- Development of identity as an engineer and its intersection with other identities; and
- Acculturation to the profession, its standards, and norms.
The goal of the Research in the Formation of Engineers (RFE) program is to advance our understanding of professional formation. It seeks to both deepen our fundamental understanding of the underlying processes and mechanisms that support professional formation and to demonstrate how professional formation is or can be accomplished. Ultimately, RFE aims to transform the engineering formation system. Therefore, the impact of proposed projects on this system must be described in the proposal. Proposers should provide a roadmap detailing how they envision the proposed research will eventually broadly impact practice within the engineering formation system, even if these activities are not within the scope of the submitted proposal.
Full Proposal Deadline Date: September 27, 2017
More in "Grant Opportunities"
- Letters of Interest Due: RadxUP Grants – Aug 26
- School Resource Academy SY 2022-2023 – Sep 7
- Tech for Good program – Sep 12
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.