Free PD for Biology and Life Science Teachers
Posted by University of Pennsylvania on August 22, 2016
This free PD on Saturday, September 17, 9-12 AM will include two hands-on learning activities, “A Scientific Investigation – What types of food contain starch and protein?” and “Enzymes Help Us Digest Food”. Philadelphia teachers who register by noon, September 6 will receive supplies for these activities. For additional information and a link to register for this PD at the University of Pennsylvania, go to https://sites.google.com/site/biologypd/home/professional-development.
You are invited to a free PD session for high school biology teachers and middle school science teachers on Saturday, September 17, 9-12 AM. Our PD will include:
· A Scientific Investigation – What types of food contain starch and protein? (a hands-on activity for teaching Keystone A.2.2, available at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_edu/waldron/#starch)
· Enzymes Help Us Digest Food (a hands-on activity for teaching Keystone A.2.3, available at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_edu/waldron/#enzymes)
· A talk by Dr. Betley, Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, How does eating change brain activity to suppress hunger?
If you plan to attend, please register by filling out the form at
For Philadelphia and Upper Darby teachers who register by noon, September 6 and participate in this PD, we will provide the supplies for the two hands-on activities. We also expect to have some donated books and possibly some supplies for use in your classroom. We hope to be able to provide Act 48 credits, if our application is approved.
This PD session will be held in Room 101, Leidy Lab in the Biology Department of the University of Pennsylvania. For a map of the area, go to http://tiny.cc/BiologyPDMap. Three-hour metered parking is available on Spruce Street and two-hour metered parking is available on 38th St./University Avenue. If you want to pay to park in one of Penn’s lots or parking garages go to http://cms.business-services.upenn.edu/parking/lot-locations-and-daily-rates.html for information.
Please save the date for our PD on Saturday, October 22, 9-12 AM. (Please note this date is corrected from my previous message which had an error.) Our October PD will include:
· Introduction to Osmosis (a hands-on activity for teaching Keystone A.4.1, available at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_edu/waldron/#osmosis)
· Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration – Understanding the Basics of Bioenergetics and Biosynthesis (an analysis and discussion activity for teaching Keystone A.3.2, available at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/bioactivities/photocellrespir)
· Dr. Ingrid Waldron, Professor of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Common Misconceptions about Energy (Keystone A.3.2) and Using Storyboards to Enhance Student Learning
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- Civic Saturday Philadelphia – Sep 10
- 7th Brothas Stroll: Health Walk for Black Men and Boys in Phila. – Aug 27
- Peace Day Philly Events – Sep 15-21
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.