Director of Finance & Operations, Mercy Neighborhood Ministries
Posted by Mercy Neighborhood Ministries on January 24, 2023
The Director of Finance & Operations is responsible for financial leadership, financial stewardship and human resource functions of Mercy Neighborhood Ministries (MNM). Reporting directly to the Executive Director and indirectly to the Board of the Directors, this individual will have a strong background in accounting (processes, skills and oversight), organizational budgeting and management, as well as financial strategic planning. This person is a key member of our executive leadership team so should possess strong collaboration, communication, and teamwork skills. In working with other staff members, the person in this role will need to be able to manage stressful situations in a calm and thoughtful manner, inspire and develop staff on their team and lead by example with a willing spirit.
At Mercy Neighborhood Ministries, we work with the values of integrity, trust, compassion, care and empathy at the forefront. We create a space where every and anyone will feel welcomed and respected. Our commitment to our community and city is seen in the service–oriented nature each staff member takes in their daily interactions with our program participants. As a member of the staff and leadership team, the individual in this role would be expected to embody and life out these values.
- Develop operating budget/performance management/variance reporting processes in conjunction with business unit leaders, senior management and the Finance Committee for multiple business units
- Perform & oversee for all accounting functions such as: general ledger accounting, payables and receivables, payroll, grant accounting, cost accounting, financial statements, and cash management
- Report and review financial and accounting matters to the Finance Committee including cash flows, financial analyses, and budget forecasts monthly
- Compile financial information for grant applications submissions and reports
- Represents the financial interests of MNM in conjunction with the Facility Director and Executive Director in contract negotiations and renewals
- Ensure licensure compliance as it relates to contracts (i.e. insurance coverage, inspections etc.)
- Conduct annual financial audit in conjunction with independent CPA, prepares information year end reporting and journal entries.
- Execute operational and hr activities including but not limited to: payroll, personnel records, compensation and benefits
- Liaise and foster relationship with our external HR & Admin Services firm for the proper achievement of operational duties
1) Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or related field
- Minimum 3–5 years demonstrated experience in a senior financial management role with some operational experience
- Expert skills using accounting and payroll software platforms such as QuickBooks, ADP and Microsoft Office.
- Experience in a not–for–profit and/or educational organization preferred
- Experience with accounting concepts, zero–based budgeting, activity–based cost accounting, approaches to overhead allocation, variable and rolling budget processes, labor analytics, service line profitability, forecasting
2) Additional Requirements
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, able to prioritize work, and take initiative when necessary. Is a self–starter with strong time management skills.
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose business finance issues and to recommend areas for process improvement or innovation
- Exhibits ability to work on concurrent initiatives and activities with a reasonable degree of autonomy
Salary: $90,000–$102,000 (Full Time)
- 100% employer paid medical, dental & vision coverage (employee only coverage)
- 3 weeks of paid vacation, 10 sick/personal days as well as 11 paid holidays
- Retirement plan with employer match
- Hybrid work option available
- Employer–paid life insurance (employee only)
- Additional voluntary benefits available through our HR service (e.g. Flexible Spending Accounts, Supplemental Life Insurance
Interested? Contact Shereda Cromwell at email@example.com.
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.