Director, Human Resources & Talent Management, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
Posted by on October 21, 2013
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS), founded in 1827, is a visionary non-profit organization headquartered in Philadelphia whose mission is to motivate people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture. PHS currently engages a membership of more than 25,000 gardening enthusiasts who enjoy a wide range of benefits and programs. Among its many programs, PHS annually produces the PHS Philadelphia Flower Show, the largest and longest-running flower show in the country, attracting over 250,000 visitors and having more than a $61 million economic impact for the region. It also manages the acclaimed City Harvest program, which has donated more than 200,000 pounds of fresh produce since 2006, and provides healthy food to 1,200 families each week of the growing season. PHS created the widely acclaimed Tree Tender and Garden Tender programs, enlisting a combined force of 6,000 people who have planted over 270,000 trees and established hundreds of gardens in the past two decades. PHS also leads the Plant One Million initiative, an ambitious program to plant a million trees in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. PHS’s design and care of iconic landscapes like the Azalea Garden, the grounds of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and Rodin Museum, as well as Columbus Boulevard and Logan Square, has gained it national recognition for horticultural design, care and sustainable practices.
Mission: The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society motivates people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture.
Directs and implements the organization’s human resource and talent management functions including: talent acquisition, advancement and development competitive compensation systems, employee engagement, training and organizational programs. Ensures a high level of organizational effectiveness through ongoing performance management systems, leadership development and succession planning. Manages benefits and pension administration. Ensures accurate record keeping and compliance with all Federal/State/Local regulations. Responsible for communication and interpretation of HR policies and procedures.
• Maintains an effective workforce staffing process and plan. Assists all departments in the recruitment, interviewing and employment of staff. Acting as trusted advisor, provides current, direct, complete and actionable feedback to others. Responsible for talent and performance management systems including partnering with staff in setting expectations and performance standards, and monitoring and measuring performance on timely, scheduled basis.
• Establishes department goals, objectives, and future strategies.
• Partners with leadership to align departmental programs, policies and talent with overall PHS goals and to develop a culture of collaboration and mutual support throughout PHS.
• Manages a competitive compensation system. Supports maintenance of an effective incentive plan.
• Keeps close watch on employee engagement and pulse of the organization. Provides counsel and direction for timely resolution and documentation of any employee relations issues. Works with legal counsel as needed to appropriately document any investigations and processes supporting any structural changes that impact the organization.
• Maintains accurate human resource records and information. Ensures compliance with record keeping regulations. Manages human resources communications.
• Administers benefits programs. Analyzes and recommends options that work for the organization and employees. Educates staff about benefits. Ensures compliance with applicable regulations. Manages the annual benefits negotiation process.
• Serves as Plan Administrator for PHS ERISA plans, including the defined benefits and defined contribution plans. Ensures the timely compliance for any record keeping and state and federal legal filings.
• Works with the PHS Board’s Human Resources Committee to maximize contributions of its members for the benefit of the organization.
• Provides management, professional and technical training workshops and opportunities.
• Responsible for the fiscal management of the Human Resources department; including the development of project plans and budgets on an annual basis. Accountable for achieving individual and departmental goals.
• Other responsibilities as may be determined.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor’s degree and ten (10+) years’ Human Resources or related field experience.
Senior professional in Human Resources; SPH certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Outstanding communication skills, written and oral, as well as strong management skills. Must be able to present and communicate with a leadership team.
• Organizational agility and ability to problem solve in creative ways.
• Strong understanding of HR strategies/benefit plans and related state and federal regulations.
• Demonstrated experience in employee relations within a diverse environment and with an emphasis on managing talent and measuring performance.
• Strong ethic in member/volunteer appreciation and in building relationships to strengthen the organization.
• Financial planning and accountability.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
c/o Human Resources
100 N 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
FAX: (215) 988-8810
To learn more about us, visit www.phsonline.org
Please no telephone or walk-in inquires. EOE. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- Camden and Pennsauken Youth Aged 16-20 Interested in the Environment, Summer Job Opportunity
- Project Development Associate, Habitat for Humanity – Jun 30
- Summer Jobs at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.