Director, Career Development, Villanova University
Posted by Villanova University on April 26, 2022
The Director, Career Development manages and leads the delivery career development and exploration services for all students and alumni of the university, primarily focusing on undergraduate students in the College of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, College of Nursing, and School of Business. Working together with the Career Development team, the Director will create plans to build and enhance identity-based resources, programs, and support for students with unique career needs and those who are from marginalized and underrepresented backgrounds. The incumbent will also lead the Career Center’s programs designed to support professional development programs of the colleges (e.g. College of Nursing LEAD program) and partner with campus constituents to offer career guidance to special populations (e.g. Athletics). The Director, Career Development leads and executes a student peer-advising program, empowering undergraduate students to become career champions across the university community. As part of executing the work of the Career Development team, the Director leads workshops, administers events in collaboration with faculty & staff across the university, and provides individualized career advising to students and alumni of Villanova.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
Duties And Responsibilities
- As the leader of the Career Development team, create and manage the strategy for delivery career development and exploration services to students and alumni.
- Lead meetings of the Career Development team and provide guidance to all direct reports on strategies to effectively serve students and alumni.
- Provide insight to the Executive Director, Employer & Career Connections on the work of the Career Development team to ensure information is shared across the university.
- Ensure all career education content for website, handouts and promotional materials are relevant and based on industry trends and feedback from students, employers and graduate programs.
- Manage individual calendar of appointments with students and alumni, advising and coaching them on successful strategies for job searching and obtaining admission to competitive graduate programs, including use of career assessments.
- Conduct recorded practice interview sessions and provide individualized feedback to students and alumni on interview skills.
- Present career development skill-building workshops on subjects such as resume writing, interviewing, graduate school applications, utilizing social media in a job search, etc.
- Serve as the liaison to colleges and campus partners for career education planning.
- Meet with academic advising professionals, internship coordinators, employers, administrators, faculty, and student organization leaders to maintain communication and plan programs.
- Administer events designed to meet the needs of these students.
- Provide employment and student data to department chairs and administration.
- Perform additional duties and assist with special projects as assigned.
- Corporate Partnerships Director, City Year
- Housing Development Officer, PHDC
- Director of Finance, PHDC
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.