Development Coordinator, Neighborood Bike Works
Posted by on January 14, 2013
About Neighborhood Bike Works: NBW is a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia that provides educational, recreational, and career-building opportunities to underserved youth through bicycling; it also promotes cycling as a healthy, affordable, environment-friendly form of transportation. Through its three sites in Philadelphia, as well as through off-site partnerships, Neighborhood Bike Works provides after school and summer programming to youth, and space for adults to utilize our tools and equipment during adult repair cooperative hours.
Position Summary: The Development Coordinator assists with developing and executing Neighborhood Bike Works’ development strategy under the supervision of the Executive Director and the Board of Directors. The Development Coordinator works with the Executive Director to maintain the organization’s grant submissions calendar, and is responsible for preparing grant applications & reports, furthering our individual donor strategies, and maintaining strong communications with donors and prospects.
Reporting Relationships and Work Environment: The Development Coordinator reports to the Executive Director. This position can largely be worked remotely, with weekly office time based out of NBW’s 40th Street headquarters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Grant Writing and Reporting (45%)
· In collaboration with Executive Director and Program Director, prepare and submit grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
· Research foundations, corporations and other opportunities, and maintain grant calendar.
· Oversee grant reporting duties as required by foundation and corporate funders.
2. Individual Donor Campaigns (35%)
· Coordinate two direct mail fundraising appeals (Annual Giving Campaign & Summer Camp Campaign). Prepare mailing lists and oversee distribution and follow up activities.
· Assist Executive Director and Board with individual donor campaigns, including researching prospects and maintaining donor records in NBW database.
· Design and implement a communications strategy, with support from ED, to recruit and retain new donors.
3. Other Activities (20%)
· Assist with coordinating special events, including the Bike Part Art Show, Ride of Dreams, and other fundraising events.
· Prepare regular fundraising progress reports for NBW board meetings and as needed.
· Assist ED with fundraising-related professional development for other staff, including providing training to work study and staff on development techniques.
· Commitment to NBW mission.
· Skilled written communicator. Writing and/or editing experience, preferably writing grant proposals. Experience with other forms of persuasive writing (i.e. journalism, grassroots campaigns) also a plus.
· Highly organized. Attention to detail is paramount in this position.
· Excellent researcher. Must be resourceful, creative, and thorough in researching foundations, corporate sponsors, and individual prospects.
· Strong networker capable of building relationships with individuals over a long period of time.
· High comfort level with computers, databases, and other applications.
· College degree or equivalent experience
· Minimum of 1 year development experience or 2 years working in a nonprofit.
· This is a part-time (20-25 hour/week) position starting at $15/hour
· Health insurance available after 3 months
Start Date: February, 2013
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and a 1-2 page writing sample to email@example.com.
The posting can also be found on our website.
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- External Evaluator, Philadelphia Education Fund – Jun 26
- SERVE Philadelphia VISTA Member Development Coordinator – Jun 19
- SERVE Philadelphia VISTA Outreach & Recruitment Coordinator – Jun 19
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.