Counselor, Upward Bound Program, UPenn
Posted by on March 21, 2003
Department of Academic Support Programs
Veterans Upward Bound Program
REPORTS TO: Program Director
SUMMARY: The Counselor is responsible for the planning, coordinating and implementation of various counseling services and activities to diagnose,document and remedy students’ academic, personal and interpersonal difficulties. The incumbent will have responsibility for implementing the delivery of counseling services, academic support services and various activities to program participants. In addition, the incumbent will counsel students in relation to academic, personal and social concerns, in addition to vocational and career guidance.
1. Meet with all participants to plan and implement their Individual Academic Plan to include short and long term academic and career goals and assess each of their academic and personal strengths and challenges (to include employment, housing, health (mental, physical and substance abuse issues), family, fear of failing, fear of succeeding, self-esteem and other issues).
2. Assist students in choosing post-secondary institutions, completing admission applications, applying for financial aid and completing scholarship searches.
3. Determine specific steps to support participants in reaching and maintaining their goals.
4. Strategize with students on how to eliminate issues that may impede their academic performance. Make referrals to appropriate university offices and community agencies to support them with these efforts.
5. Maintain continuous contact with educational/community/veteran-related agencies and administrators. Schedule and conduct recruitment presentations. Complete recruitment reports as required.
6. Encourage university and community support for the program through non-traditional mechanism including media, church and other presentations.
7. Conduct monthly workshops or seminars with topics that will assist students in their pursuits for higher education.
8. Review and update records and credentials of all current students (i.e. acceptance letters to colleges).
9. Participate in orientation sessions at the beginning of each program cycle to familiarize new students with the program.
10. Provide support services to program students who are experiencing academic, personal, and social problems. Attempt to ease students’ adjustment to the University environment.
11. Work with the Director, Assistant Director, instructors, and tutors, to diagnose, document and remedy students’ problems in academic and personal areas.
12. Coordinate and conduct program pre- and post-testing sessions.
13. Have scheduled counseling sessions with program students a minimum of one time a month.
14. Assist in the preparation of reports, proposals and correspondence as required.
15. Attend Department of Education and Regional conferences and workshops, and all staff meetings.
16. Responsible for coordination of graduate student internship programs.
17. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. Master’s in the social or behavioral sciences required degree in guidance or counseling psychology preferred.
2. Three years experience as a guidance counselor preferred. Experience with the counseling needs of veterans a plus.
3. Must have experience in the counseling of disadvantaged students.
4. Demonstrated abilities in public speaking and writing.
5. Ability to design and implement workshops and presentations.
To apply, contact:
Diane Sandefur, M.S.Ed.
Veterans Upward Bound
University of Pennsylvania
4200 Pine Street, 4th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Learn more about Rebuild’s skilled trades Winter 2024 academies – Jan 9
- Special Assistant to the President/CEO and Board Liaison, Philadelphia Education Fund
- Learning & Outreach Coordinator, Hope Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.