Communications Manager, National Constitution Center
Posted by National Constitution Center on August 23, 2022
About the National Constitution Center
The National Constitution Center is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization devoted to teaching about the Constitution. Located on Philadelphia’s historic Independence Mall, steps from where the Constitution was drafted and signed, it serves as America’s leading platform for constitutional education and debate, fulfilling its congressional charter “to disseminate information about the U.S. Constitution on a nonpartisan basis in order to increase awareness and understanding of the Constitution among the American people.”
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the Communications Manager is responsible for managing media relations and public affairs efforts. This includes media outreach, social media planning, writing, editing, and disseminating a broad range of communications, and otherwise supporting the goals of the organization through strategic communications.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the Vice President of Communications in the organization’s earned media strategy, promoting the organization and protecting its reputation
- Research, write, and edit a wide range of public-facing communications including email, website and social media copy, press releases and media alerts, senior-level remarks and talking points, and other institutional materials
- Create and execute broad communications and media relations plans for Center initiatives and events aimed at engaging audiences through exhibits, programming, and timely content
- Serve as key public relations representative, distributing press releases and alerts, drafting responses to media inquiries and interview requests, proactively pitching stories to local and national press, serving as a spokesperson for the NCC when assigned
- Oversee the work of two digital media specialists, ensuring content is reflective of the organization’s nonpartisan values, proofreading copy and graphics before publication
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure consistency in voice, tone, style, and messaging in communications across a variety of formats and channels and for a diverse set of audiences
- Develop and/or review a range of digital content, including social media/marketing graphics, promotional and educational videos, and paid/unpaid social content
- Routinely audit new and existing webpages and identify edits, including for podcasts, town hall and educational programs, learning materials, exhibits, etc.
- Develop and maintain network of local and national media contacts
- Track press clips on regular basis, identifying how to share best internally and externally, and otherwise report out on successes of media outreach and other communications strategies
- Serve as point person for all filming and photography on site, coordinating with partner organizations, internal departments, and film crews in accordance with internal policies
- Help manage relationships with external agency partners, including PR agencies
- Manage public relations department budget and other organizational duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Please note that the Center may change specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization
This position is based in Philadelphia with flexible remote work opportunities.
- Campus Compact Student Design Fellowship – Oct 27
- Special Projects Manager (Remote), Campus Compact
- Student Engagement Coordinator (Remote), Campus Compact
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.