AmeriCorps Member, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
Posted by on July 25, 2011
INSPIRE * TRANSFORM * BUILD * SUSTAIN
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society has been a visionary not-for-profit organization in the Greater Philadelphia Region since its founding in 1827. PHS organizes the annual Philadelphia International Flower Show, the world’s largest and longest-running indoor flower show, which brings 250,000 visitors and creates a $61 million economic impact to the city. PHS’s Philadelphia Green helps transform lives through revolutionary programs like City Harvest, which has grown and donated 77,000 lbs of fresh produce in three years—helping to feed 1,000 families each week of the growing season. PHS will also lead the new Plant One Million, an ambitious program to plant one million trees in the tri-state region of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.
Mission: The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society motivates people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture.
The AmeriCorps Member will work with the PHS staff on a variety of community greening and education projects, including the Plant One Million campaign to restore the regional tree canopy by planting one million trees by the year 2020, Philadelphia Land Care which stabilizes vacant land in Philadelphia, and our community education and training programs which prepare citizens to become better stewards of the environment through community gardening, tree planting and care, and revitalization of community parks.
Term of AmeriCorps service: August 22, 2011 to August 17, 2012 with a stipend to help with living expenses.
Specific responsibilities will include both operational and educational components such as:
• Assisting with PHS Tree Tenders, Garden Tenders and Green City Teachers training;
• Attending community meetings to foster citizen engagement in environmental stewardship;
• Leading programs for children and youth;
• Assisting with preparation and logistics for community based programs;
• Assisting PHS staff to identify and research trends in community greening and sustainability;
• Assisting in other aspects of PHS community greening and education work as assigned.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
c/o Human Resources
100 N 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
FAX: (215) 988-8810
To learn more about us, visit http://www.phsonline.org
Please no telephone or walk-in inquires. EOE. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for submission is: August 1, 2011
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- Stoneleigh Foundation Emerging Leader Fellowship: Addressing the Trauma and Fear Arising from Gun and Community Violence in Philadelphia’s Asian Communities – Jun 9
- Manager, Dow Corporate Volunteer Program, LaSalle Nonprofit Center – Jul 24
- Communications Director, Philadelphia Orchard Project – Jun 26
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.