Literacy Supervisor, Boys and Girls Clubs of Philadelphia
Posted by Boys and Girls Clubs of Philadelphia on October 06, 2014
The Literacy Center Supervisor is responsible for the teaching of literacy programs, promotion and awareness of reading challenges at an assigned Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia Club site. He/she will develop and teach literacy programs related to the core service areas of BGCP. The Literacy Supervisor will commit to improving club members’ reading, writing and spelling abilities.
Essential duties & responsibilities
- Provides an educational and structured center for members focusing on increasing their literacy and fluency.
- Creates and maintains positive behavioral classroom strategies, which encourages students learning and commitment.
- Creates in/out of school opportunities to informally observe the reading and writing progression of Cub members.
- Monitors Club members’ progress through a variety of screenings, including writing assessments and fluency evaluation.
- Maintains open lines of communication with Club Staff and parents.
- Creates positive images of the Literacy Center in the community by offering resources regarding reading challenges and by networking with relevant stake-holders and community organizations.
- Meets established schedules and deadlines as part of the Literacy Center Supervisor responsibilities; accepts a variety of daily activities while maintaining high accuracy requirements.
- Assist in the transportation of kids including, but not limited to, driving, van aides, and walking escorts when necessary.
Responsible for helping to keep the Clubs clean.
- All BGCP employees are Mandated Reporters, and must report any suspected Child Abuse or Neglect to their direct supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or as assigned by the CEO(s), EOO, EPO(s), Unit Director(s), and/or Program Director(s).
- Remains flexible and adaptable in work schedules and work assignments as defined by departmental and organizational needs.
- Represents Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia in a manner that conveys professionalism, confidentiality, courtesy, fairness, personal integrity, and respect for others.
- Community Partnerships in the Arts Teaching Artist, Fleisher
- Teacher Residency Program, School District of Phila. – Feb 3, Mar 4
- Office Manager/Bookkeeper, Coalition against Hunger
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.