Assistant Director, Philadelphia Student Union
Philadelphia Student Union seeks Assistant Director
The Student Union is a youth led organization supported by adults who are all united by a common purpose: to empower youth and create positive social change. Our mission is to organize young people to transform public schools and to provide students with the skills they need to become lifelong community leaders. We believe that strong public schools, which ensure that all people receive a high quality education, are a key to creating a more just society. Schools, however, cannot truly be changed until young people are leading the change. We currently have chapters in West Philadelphia, John Bartram, Simon Gratz, Central, Masterman, and Girl?s High Schools.
Position Available: Assistant Director
Responsibilities – The Assistant Director will work closely with the Executive Director to shape the strategic direction of the organization and will manage part-time staff members. S/he will be primarily responsible for coordinating the youth leadership development program. This program helps students analyze root causes of social problems, develop leadership skills, and build a cohesive team. The Assistant Director will develop curriculum, train facilitators, and ensure overall quality of the program.
In addition, the Assistant Director will assist students in developing the citywide campaign to make changes in Philadelphia’s schools. This will require helping students design effective organizing strategy, build alliances with other organizations, and coordinate involvement of all six chapters for implementation. The Assistant Director will also help run a Student Union chapter in a Philadelphia public high school. Organizing chapter involves recruiting students in school, facilitating a weekly leadership development program, helping students analyze problems in their schools, and assisting young people in designing and enacting a campaign to change their school.
Applicants will be considered if they:
– Have a strong foundation in social change work and organizational development.
– Have a commitment to pursuing Philadelphia Student Union values.
– Have the capacity to take initiative and apply creativity.
– Are self-motivated, prompt, well organized, and able to work independently.
– Are experienced in grassroots community organizing.
– Understand the root causes of racism and poverty.
– Have strong facilitation and training experience.
– Are aware of their role as an adult working with youth empowerment.
– Are comfortable working with diverse groups and in building personal relationships with and among young people as well as adults who work in schools.
– Exhibit a working knowledge of public education.
– Have excellent writing and computer skills.
Salary is $28,000 to $35,000 depending on experience, with excellent benefits package. The position is full-time and is available immediately. Hours will include half-day Saturdays and some evenings although scheduling is flexible. Perks include fun, close attention to your professional development and growth, and being part of the struggle for educational reform in the Philadelphia area and beyond. This is not a boring job!
Please send resume to Eric Braxton,
Philadelphia Student Union
1315 Spruce Street
Phila., PA 19107
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.