Youth Leadership and Outreach Specialist, United Way
Posted by on September 24, 2007
Youth Leadership and Outreach Specialist
Salary: Annual living allowance, $4,725 education award, extensive professional development, health benefits, childcare reimbursement
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (BA) preferred
Location: Philadelphia and Chester, Pennsylvania
Posted by: United Way of Southeastern PA
Job Category: Education & Training, Human Services
Job posted on: April 30, 2007
Area of Focus: Community building and renewal, Multi-service network of nonprofit organizations, Children and Youth
Type: Full time
Last day to apply: October 15, 2007
Last updated: August 30, 2007
Description of Organization:
Gain invaluable experience while contributing to community change! Support change in the opportunities available to youth, change in the
services provided to youth, and change in the way programs work to support youth. The Neighborhood-Based Youth Development Initiative (YDI) brings together organizations across several neighborhoods in Philadelphia and the city of Chester to work towards a common goal: helping youth successfully transition to adulthood. United Way’s Center for Youth Development (CYD) supports this initiative by providing training and technical assistance to help communities mobilize their human, institutional and financial resources in the areas of program quality, youth leadership and civic engagement, community collaboration, governance and planning, and data collection and tracking.
Description of Duties:
Currently CYD is looking for a VISTA leader to assist with recruitment and supervision of neighborhood-based VISTAs working with youth leadership and data collection systems. The VISTA leader will assist with special projects, including developing resource materials and coordinating professional development opportunities for program staff
and youth leaders.
– Participate in ongoing training in positive youth development, service learning and program development
– Develop training and resource development related to youth leadership and data-driven decision-making
– Work with Youth Leadership Specialists to identify and/or develop leadership training opportunities, service learning and other
– Assist neighborhood collaboratives, staff, and youth councils in gathering youth input and contribution to program and collaborative-level planning and decision-making
– Pursue partnerships with community partners, civic organizations, and other community resources to support youth-led efforts
– Assist with special projects as needed
– Additional duties as needed
Full time position, typically 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
– Bachelor’s degree preferred
– Some experience working with youth-led efforts and community change
– Positive communication skills
– Experience working with older youth (ages 12-18)
– Facilitation and writing/design skills
How to Apply:
E-mail a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Opportunities exist throughout Philadelphia and in Chester, and we are interviewing now! This is a 40 hour per week, year-long commitment and an opportunity to become part of the AmeriCorps national service
program. United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Learn more about Rebuild’s skilled trades Winter 2024 academies – Jan 9
- Special Assistant to the President/CEO and Board Liaison, Philadelphia Education Fund
- Learning & Outreach Coordinator, Hope Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.