Youth Environmental Stewardship Group Coordinator, PHS
Posted by on March 01, 2010
Youth Environmental Stewardship Group Coordinator
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society is accepting applications for Group Coordinators for its Youth Environmental Stewardship (YES) program, a six-week summer employment and learning opportunity for 14 – 18-year-olds. Group Coordinators work with small teams to:
– Increase awareness of the ecology of their urban communities;
– Provide hands-on stewardship experience in a neighborhood park and recreation center;
– Foster youth leadership skills;
– Teach employment and life skills; and
– Provide education on nutrition and active living as keys to good health.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Group coordinators for the YES Program should have significant leadership experience working with youth in small-group settings as teachers, camp counselors, after-school-program leaders, etc. They should have demonstrated skills and experience in training, education, and/or youth mentoring. Experience working with inner-city youth is a plus.
– Establish and maintain a daily routine of education, work, and reflection activities;
– Manage at least one large group project;
– Have the physical ability to work outside and demonstrate/lead environmental stewardship activities, which can include lifting, shoveling, sweeping, pruning etc. outside in the summer;
– Set a good example by promoting healthy lifestyle choices and exhibiting strong leadership skills;
– Support special guests who will provide additional instruction on various topics, including the environment, health and nutrition, yoga, etc.
– Complete all administrative requirements in a timely fashion;
– Have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
– Have a high-energy, creative approach to using provided materials to promote knowledge and skills in areas such as:
o Plant and tree identification
o Health/Nutrition education
o Environmental science
o Community building
o The value of community greening
o Work skills
o Youth leadership
COORDINATORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
– Full attendance at a three-day leadership training and orientation at PHS (Center City).
– Twenty-two hours of programming per week for six weeks, Monday – Friday mornings. A typical week will include four 4-hour days, plus a longer day that may include a field trip.
– Six hours per week of prep time;
– Timely completion and submission of all reports;
– Attendance at a two-day post-program wrap-up and evaluation;
– Adherence to the goals of the program and mission and policies of PHS (learn more at http://www.PHSonline.com).
Site coordinators will be paid as independent contractors and will receive a total of $5,000 with no benefits. Preliminary site visits with program partners will be held in May. PHS training and orientation will be held June 29, 30 and July 1, 2010. The program runs from July 6 – August 13, and the wrap-up and evaluation will be held the week of August 16.
YES Site Visits TBA May, 2010
PHS TRAINING AND ORIENTATION June 29, 30 and July 1, 2010
YES PROGRAM July 6 – August 13, 2010
WRAP-UP AND EVALUATION TBA the week of August 16th, 2010
To apply, mail, email, or fax cover letter and resume to:
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
c/o Human Resources
100 N. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Deadline for submissions is March 22, 2010.
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- Camden and Pennsauken Youth Aged 16-20 Interested in the Environment, Summer Job Opportunity
- Project Development Associate, Habitat for Humanity – Jun 30
- Summer Jobs at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.