Webinar: What is Civic Engagement? Exploring New Paradigms – Mar 15
Posted by AmeriCorps on February 28, 2023
Join the AmeriCorps Office of Research and Evaluation in our first of four webinars of the Reigniting Civic Life Series following the release of the Current Population Survey, 2021 Civic Engagement and Volunteering Supplement.
Webinar Abstract: In recent decades, scholars and practitioners have called for more expansive definitions of civic engagement that are inclusive of a broad constellation of activities people engage in to make a difference in their communities. In this webinar, we will introduce several frameworks for conceptualizing civic engagement, present novel findings from the most robust longitudinal survey about civic engagement trends in the United States and share insights about how new understandings of the civic are emerging through local mutual aid efforts. We’ll conclude with a reflection about how national service can contribute to this broader understanding of what counts as civic engagement.
- Andrea Robles, research manager, AmeriCorps
- Kei Kawashima Ginsberg, Newhouse director, Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Tufts University
- Laura Hanson Schlachter, research analyst, AmeriCorps
- Penn Loh, director of the Master of Public Policy Program and Community Practice, Tufts University
- Adrienne Andrews, deputy chief of staff for strategic engagement, AmeriCorps
- Melissa Gouge, research analyst, AmeriCorps
Webinar Objective: To set the stage for an ongoing conversation about reigniting civic life based on insights into national trends about civic engagement in the general U.S. population from the CEV and local experiences of mutual aid.
Date and Time: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 2:30-4:00 PM
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Webinar: Helping Kids and Families Thrive: New Evidence on Cash Supports – Jun 13
- Webinar: Using Data Refineries to Drive Social Impact – Learn How! – Jun 29
- Virtual Lunch & Learn Series: Participatory Budgeting – Jun 14
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.