volunteers needed, Casa Monarca
Posted by Casa Monarca on March 23, 2015
Casa Monarca is a non-profit organization our mission is to promote and preserve the Mexican culture and traditions through social, cultural and educational programs and events that involve the South Philadelphia community. We are a new organization that was born 5 years ago in the Day of the Dead (Dia de Muertos) since we have opened we started to offer services to the community including an after school program in which we provide homework support in English and Spanish for English language learner children and their families, English classes, Mexican history classes, supervised community access to computers, as well computer classes in different levels for adults, Mexican Folk Dance, Prehispanic dance, Arts and Crafts for children and adults, supportive playgroup for babies and young mothers, Summer Camp for children ages 6 to 12 years old, Girls scouts, and we also offer information and referrals to other community resources.
At Casa Monarca we are supporting the cultural and educational needs of young Mexican families, by providing opportunities to learn about and share their customs and cultural roots.
For the past 3 years we were very thankfully to have the support, help and energy of volunteer students from Swarthmore and UPENN and the role model that all of them represent for our children motivating them to continued with their dream to make it real.
Thank you for your interest in be a part of our community.
- Tutoring and homework help, Mondays and Wednesday from 3:30 to 5:30pm we are planing to start on March. During this time the volunteers greet students talk about situations that happened in the day at school or elsewhere, offer help with homework, help with any subject that students need support, reading group or individual , and occasionally perform traditional games. Volunteers are responsible for making a work plan for the students that can last 4 and / or 8 weeks. (Remember is only two days a week)
- Girl Scout, Thursdays 6 to 7pm. We are the only Latinas Girl Scouts in Eastern Pennsylvania and our mission is builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Excellent opportunity for females volunteers
- Play Group, For moms and children up to 5 years old. Wednesdays from 10 to 12pm we are planing to start in March. During this time the volunteers have the opportunity to learn about situations that the families faced daily.
- Computer Center, Open Saturdays from 10am to 1pm. Volunteers can come in periods of two hours or more, during this time we teach basic computer skills to adults, most of them want to learn about social networks, email, Microsoft word, search in the Internet, etc . This is also an excellent time to chat with them and learn more about the life of our community.
- Art Workshop, Taller “Solo para Ti”, Two days Saturday 11th and 18th of April from 9:30am to 12:30pm. During this art workshop some of the volunteers support the art teacher to lead the workshop and, and other help with the care of children is a two hours workshop.
- Other forms of help could be on the planning, organization and implement of community events, also offering some hours during outreach event, and event where we collaborate, other options are website help, updating our contact lists, our social networks, updated files, translate and / or create flyers, etc most of these activities you can do it in your free time and some from home. There is no maximal or minimal help, all your help is very valuable for us!
Please fell free to share this information. We are also open to any suggestions from our volunteers to open other courses and supportive groups.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Write Away Digital Literacy Mentorship Program: Mentors Needed – Jan 31
- Accepting Applications: Swipe Out Hunger’s Inaugural Leadership Council
- Volunteer Assistant Coach, Phila. Youth Football Academy
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.