VietLead Civic Empowerment Canvasser
Posted by VietLead on December 17, 2019
VietLEAD is a grassroots, Vietnamese community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our focus is participatory democracy, youth organizing, health and healing, and culture and arts programming with and by our community. Our vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming that builds the skills, leadership, and collaboration needed to ensure that our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey.
From October 2019 until April 2020, VietLEAD will be a part of a statewide initiative to “Get Out The Count” (GOTC) for the upcoming 2020 CENSUS! As part of our belief that all community members living in Philadelphia have the right and ability to shape and inform our city, we will be assembling a 2020 CENSUS Field Team in order to carry out the initial steps in educating our community members, citizens or not, young and old, to engage our political sphere through the upcoming 2020 CENSUS. This team will participate in a two fold census education outreach plan primarily through door knocking by supporting community members to learn more about why participating in the 2020 CENSUS is important for our community’s interests as well as reminding our community members to be attentive of the census deadlines. The VietLead 2020 CENSUS Field Team will be a part of a seasonal team designed to provide support to a dynamic and creative team that works to increase political power of the Vietnamese community, and the broader Asian American community in Philadelphia.
VietLEAD seeks 2-4 highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individuals for our part- time 2020 CENSUS FIELD TEAM position for our “Get Out The Counts” program. This position will be based out of our Philadelphia or Camden office and will begin in October 2019 and end in April 2020. The Field Team will support Program Staff in the following:
- Supporting team in preparing logistical support for actions such as door-knocking and canvassing
- Supporting team in Implement “Get Out The Counts” Strategies over through out the next year until CENSUS DAY on April 1, 2020
- Support in Outreach for volunteers and for other program-related needs
- Organizing and recruiting new volunteers through high school, college, and community outreach for phone
- Door knocking and home visits for Census Education
- Maintain filing system for volunteer hours
- Supporting Staff in organizing, planning, and carrying out programming
- Other programming-related support as needed
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Able to speak Spanish/Vietnamese is a plus
- Must have access to transportation preferred
- PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel, and internet usage
Compensation: Stipended position and work study support
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
- Project Manager, Connect the Dots – Feb 6
- Program Manager, SAADA
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.