Union Campaign Research, UNITE HERE! Research
Posted by on July 04, 2011
Union Campaign Research, UNITE HERE! Research – Philadelphia, PA
Posted on: June 21, 2011
In this time of economic crisis, be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action.
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, representing approximately 250,000 workers in the hotel, food service, restaurant, textile, industrial laundry, and gaming industries in North America. These industries employ large numbers of women, recent immigrants and people of color.
The Campaign Researcher will conduct industry, corporate, and political research; develop and carry out strategic campaigns to organize the unorganized and secure improved standards for existing union members in hotels; and engage players in the development process to promote guarantees of living wage jobs for new hospitality workers.
Job responsibilities will include:
• Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources as well as informational interviews with union, industry and financial sources.
• Conduct local and field research on companies, industries, and development projects.
• Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics.
• Develop expertise in UNITE HERE industries, especially hotels.
Desired Qualifications include:
• Commitment to fighting for workers’ rights and activist experience
• BA Degree, preferably in labor studies, planning or economics, or relevant research and/or organizing experience (labor, political or community)
• Strong analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills
• Willingness to work long hours, to travel, and relocate if necessary
• Familiarity with database and word processing software
• Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines, work independently, and take initiative.
• Reliable car and valid driver’s license.
Please complete on-line application at: http://jobs.unitehere.org/analystapp.php
- Deputy Executive Director of Place-Based Initiatives, City of Philadelphia
- Transforming Justice Hub Facilitator, CORA
- Data Analyst, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.