Tech SLAM seeks school partners
Posted by New Foundations Charter School on January 11, 2016
New Foundations Charter School will be hosting a Tech SLAM on March 4th – 5th in an effort to give teens real life experience in working within the marketing and design fields through partnering high school student teams with non-profits in need of services and local mentors in the field.
Student teams will have an opportunity to provide direct service to a local non profit while creating new marketing and design materials for the organization, and working with local professionals.
Student teams will have a chance to win a variety of prizes including software, memberships, and equipment for themselves and their school!
In support of Philadelphia schools participating in this event, NFCS will be awarding up to 8 mini-grants to high schools to support costs such as staff time, transportation, and supplies in order to prepare students for the event and participate in the weekend activities. Mini-grants will be given out in the amount of $250 for each team applying to be part of the event.
Teams will be accepted in the areas of:
1) Video Production: Creation of commercials, public service announcements, or other video based promotional materials.
2) Marketing Design and Photography: Creation of marketing materials such as fliers, brochures, social media, specifically using digital photos.
3) Web Site Design and Development: Creation of websites and pages through coding and design.
Responsibilities of NFCS include:
– Provide $250 mini-grant directly to the school and/or program facilitator.
– Match schools with a non-profit to work with the day of the event.
– Ensure professionals in all team areas to be on site during Tech SLAM to support all teams.
– Host Tech SLAM on March 4-5, 2016
– Provide meals and snacks during the Tech SLAM
– Offer effort and performance incentives such as prizes during the Tech SLAM
Responsibilities of high school mini-grant recipients:
– Identify and recruit students to participate on team(s) (3-5 students per team)
– Prepare team members with basic knowledge to participate in the Tech SLAM area you’ve selected through workshops, classes, afterschool activities, etc.
– Ensure students have transportation to and from the Tech SLAM
– Ensure facilitator is with students for the duration of the Tech SLAM
– Keep track of mini-grant spending for final report to NFCS
To be considered for the mini-grant, please fill out the short application no later then January 30, 2016.
Please also pass this on to your networks!
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- Post Graduate Volunteer Fair (Students and Organizations) – Nov 8
- Parents Progressing with Life, Classes – Oct 17
- The Future of Food: Food Waste & Philadelphia – Oct 20
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.