Team Leader, Gearing Up
Posted by on April 29, 2013
Job Title: Gearing Up Team Leader (Two Positions available)
Location: Center City or Northwest Philadelphia (Mt. Airy/Germantown)
Hours: 5-7 hours per week; 2-3 mornings/evenings per week; occasional weekend events
Gearing Up (http://www.gearing-up.org) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide women in transition from drug and alcohol addiction, domestic violence, and/or homelessness with the skills, equipment and guidance needed to safely ride a bicycle for exercise, transportation and personal growth.
The primary responsibility of the team leader is to safely lead 2-3 weekly bicycle rides, providing women with opportunities for exercise, healthy social interaction and the emotional benefits of exercise. Women enrolled in the Gearing Up program have histories of addiction, abuse, and/or incarceration. Riding a bicycle is used as a form of low-impact physical activity, a tool for emotional management and developing healthy social communities.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Assist with volunteer recruitment and volunteer engagement
• Communicate directly with therapists, case workers and management to report on client’s progress and struggles while engaging in Gearing Up programming
• Attend community meeting at the partner programs and occasionally provide special awards or “shout-outs” for the clients
• Mentor women on safe and effective bicycle riding skills
• Identify safe routes for bicycling from partner program location
• Enforce all Gearing Up rules, expectations, and rider responsibilities
• Safely store and manage Gearing Up bicycles, provide service or identify safety risks when necessary
• Track and confirm all required client paperwork
• Track all clients’ miles and progress; provide incentives
• Minimally assist with earn-a-bike course scheduling and coordination
• Coordinate and teach indoor cycling classes throughout winter months
• Attend monthly staff meetings at Gearing Up center city office
• Provide availability for a weekly program check in with program manager (15-20 minutes via phone)
• Respond to weekly team emails with any requested information in a timely fashion
Gearing Up does not discriminate in programs, services, staffing, and/or volunteer areas on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, religion or other protected status under applicable law.
Applicants are expected to have their own bicycle and helmet, be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, be physically capable AND comfortable riding a bicycle.
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO email@example.com
- Career Specialist, Welcoming Center – Mar 12
- Community Program Manager – Mar 25
- Quaker Voluntary Service Fellowship – Mar 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.