Survey for Black K-12 Administrators: Perceptions of Social Justice in Schools
Posted by Washington University in St.Louis on March 14, 2023
Are you a Black K-12 Administrator? Come talk with us about your perceptions of social justice in Schools.
- Identify as Black school administrator (18+ years) in the U.S.
- Current or past (5 years) administrator (e.g., principal, assistant principal, superintendent, ets.) working in K-12 education
What you’ll be doing:
- 60-90 minute audio recorded interview on Zoom
- Answering questions on your role and social justice ethos, school and district climate, relationship building
While we know that educational administrators play a significant role in school functioning and student learning, we know less about their intentionality around social justice and educational equity within school settings. Even more, few research studies specifically focus on Black administrative leaders’ role in promoting equity and justice in the education of Black youth.
Social Justice in Our Schools seeks to identify and describe how these Black administrators’ efforts to support a social justice ethos inform school practices and policies. Social justice ethos in this context refers to an acknowledgment of the marginalization experienced because of one’s race, class, and/or gender identity, as well as action toward eliminating this marginalization. The pilot study will consist of individual interviews with Black administrators working in K-12 school systems across the U.S to explore what factors contribute to Black educational administrators’ beliefs about the use and importance of a social justice lens within their work. These interviews will focus on several topics including the administrators’ leadership role, their relationship building practices with teachers, parents, and students, and their school and district’s social justice ethos and climate.
You will receive a $30 Amazon e-gift card after the interview.
Questions? Contact SynClaire Arthur at email@example.com or Seanna Leath, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Webinar: Authentic Engagement: People with Lived Expertise Shaping Homeless Programs and Policies – Mar 29
- Celebrate 35 Years of Youth Changing the World on Global Youth Service Day 2023 – Apr 28-30
- VIISTA — VILLANOVA INTERDISCIPLINARY IMMIGRATION STUDIES TRAINING FOR ADVOCATES – Apr 14
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.