Summer Youth Interns available
Posted by Urban Affairs Coalition on April 17, 2017
Do you need a Summer Youth Intern?
Do you remember your first job? The Urban Affairs Coalition (UAC) is seeking worksite hosts for the Summer 2017 Youth Employment Program which provides paid summer job opportunities and support to youth ages 14-18 through the WorkReady program. We need YOU to host interns this summer! The six week program runs from July through mid-August and includes career exposure, on-the-job mentoring, and professional development.
FREE for nonprofits and small business
- There is no cost for non-profit organizations, public agencies, and companies with less than 50 employees.
Just $1,800 for larger companies
- For companies with over 50 employees, we ask the employer to make an investment in our city’s youth by contributing $1,80.000 per intern.
Why should I hire an intern?
- Provide a young person with early work experience and an introduction to your career field!
- Gain extra help this summer to complete a special project or get caught up on paperwork!
- Feel good about mentoring a young person and helping to put them on a path to success!
What projects might my intern do?
- Help with a day care or summer camp
- Filing or data entry
- Help with social media or website
- Urban gardening or grounds keeping
- Market research, legal research, etc
- Office “greening” or eco-friendly initiative
- Help with business inventory, such as IT equipment
- Be a “secret shopper” and check on the customer experience at your organization
What if I don’t have time to manage youth interns?
- Think about whether there is someone else in your organization who could supervise the interns. For example, it could be an office manager, administrative assistant, or HR manager.
- Pair the youth interns with college interns to provide additional support and mentoring opportunities.
- Have the interns rotate between departments so they can learn about the entire organization and work with different individuals.
- Invite the interns to shadow you and others in the organization on some days so that they can learn more about what you do.
Have an idea for a special project? Please contact Charmayne Thompson, Worksite Manager, by email Cthompson@uac.org or by phone at 215-251-9621 to brainstorm additional ideas and for general inquiries.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Write Away Digital Literacy Mentorship Program: Mentors Needed – Jan 31
- Accepting Applications: Swipe Out Hunger’s Inaugural Leadership Council
- Volunteer Assistant Coach, Phila. Youth Football Academy
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.