Staff Representative, AFT PA – Jan 26
Posted by American Federation of Teachers PA on January 18, 2022
Overview of Position:
Staff Representatives are responsible for both traditional contract servicing functions (e.g., contract negotiations, grievance/arbitration support) and membership engagement duties (e.g., increasing membership, developing activists, assisting with labor and political campaigns). Additionally, they support the long–term vision and strategy as outlined by the AFTPA President and Executive Council.
The desired candidate will be a strong proponent for the professional status of educators, including their salary and benefit rights, improved working conditions, and ability to advocate for members during their employment. Moreover, such a candidate has the personality and understanding needed to engage with a diverse member population in addition to supporting the talent development of local leaders.
- Serve as primary support for local leaders in the collective bargaining process including strategizing with locals, attending contract negotiation sessions, assisting in the drafting and editing of proposals, etc.
- Manage and assist local leaders with grievance, arbitration, and mediation related issues.
- Conduct regular visits to assigned locals including (but not limited to) membership meetings, board/governance meetings.
- Develop, coordinate and/or facilitate workshops and activist training programs in the areas of (a) collective bargaining, (b) contract compliance, (c) financial compliance, and (d) membership engagement and labor organizing.
- Coordinate and maintain local membership data including databases (e.g. AFT Connect) and monitor overall health of the local.
- Assist the Executive Director with long–term strategy implementation, as developed by the Executive Council, including coordinating with fellow national and state union affiliates.
- Perform other duties as assigned including support with special projects.
Application deadline: January 26, 2022, 11:59 PM
- Assistant Group Supervisor Aide Seasonal Summer 2022 (Full-Time Temporary)
- Gaudenzia Job Fair, Wilmington, DE – Jun 2
- Bicycle Coalition Youth Cycling Program Coordinator – Jun 17
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.