Spring 2021 Up to Us Voting Modules Mini-Grant – Feb 18
Posted by Project Pericles on February 9, 2021
Project Pericles, in collaboration with Up to Us, is delighted to invite faculty to apply for a Spring 2021 Up to Us Voting Modules Mini-Grant—a $500 award to support a faculty member to incorporate a deliberative dialogue discussion in a Spring 2021 class about one of the following civic issues: Rising Healthcare Costs, Reducing Hyperpartisanship, The National Debt, and Student Debt Crisis. Faculty will also develop a relevant activity/assignment to deepen student engagement with the topic and participate in a virtual faculty leadership and learning community.
Applications are a short two-three paragraph proposal. Faculty members from any higher education institution are eligible to apply. Click here to learn more, access the RFP and apply.
The priority deadline is Thursday, February 18. Applications submitted by this deadline will receive priority consideration. If there are still spots available after the priority deadline, applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Award highlights include:
- $500 Mini-Grant Award to support a faculty member to use the Periclean Voting Modules and encourage democratic engagement.
- Incorporate a Deliberative Dialogue Discussion in a class about one of the following pressing civic issues: The National Debt • Student Debt Crisis • Reducing Hyperpartisanship • Rising Healthcare Costs
- Develop an Innovative Activity/Assignment that connects students’ personal reflection and real-world action with the discussion topics.
- Participate in Virtual Faculty Convenings–We are pleased that during this isolating time, faculty awardees will engage in virtual convenings. This will provide a great opportunity for faculty to connect with other civically engaged scholars. The convenings will take place in Spring 2021 and will be scheduled around faculty availability.
- Demonstrate Civic Relevancy of Academic Content–The goal of the deliberative dialogue discussion is to empower students to see the connections between the issues that affect them, their elected officials, and the impact of their vote.
About the Up to Us Voting Modules Mini-Grants: Given the current state of our democracy, it is particularly vital that our students understand their role in making a difference in society, which often begins with civil dialogue and voting. We developed the Periclean Voting Modules, a set of curricular modules for faculty across disciplines who are interested in bridging academic content to nonpartisan voter education (available free online). In particular, the deliberative dialogue module offers a framework for course topics to real-world policy concerns, and facilitating discussions about critical civic issues that affect students. Up to Us is the nationwide, campus-based campaign focused on building a sustainable economic and fiscal future for America’s next generation.
More in "Grant Opportunities"
- Infrastructure and Capacity Building Challenge Grants – May 18
- 2021-2022 Ellis Trust Enrichment Grants for Girls
- Racial Equity Grants – Jun 4
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.