Spring 2020 Legal Internships, Philadelphia VIP
Posted by Philadelphia VIP on November 19, 2019
Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free legal services to low-income clients.
VIP seeks highly motivated, second- or third-year law students to serve as legal interns during the spring semester supporting VIP’s work in the many areas where our clients face critical legal needs, including: family law (custody, support, divorce, adoption), home ownership/tangled title (probate, quiet title, and deed transfers), debt collection, guardianship, tort defense, and estate planning. Our legal interns function as valued members of the VIP team. With attentive attorney supervision and training, interns gain valuable skills that will help them launch careers in any sector of the legal profession or in non-profit leadership.
- Passion for access to justice for underserved communities and commitment to VIP’s volunteer-based service model; experience with low-income populations is a plus
- Prior volunteer work
- Strong oral and written communication skills and attention to detail; Spanish fluency a plus (not required)
Working with clients and legal services to manage a full caseload:
- Assessing the legal merits of cases by interviewing clients and gathering documents
- Counseling and preparing clients for the civil legal process and the professional responsibilities surrounding the attorney-client relationship
- Managing urgent matters with deadlines and long-term projects
Working with private attorney volunteers to assist with case management:
- Guiding volunteer attorneys with substantive, ethical, or procedural legal questions
- Helping volunteers to manage VIP cases by asking for status updates and identifying potential challenges
- Observing court proceedings, and meeting judges and court staff
Cultivating volunteer attorney relationships to grow our pro bono practice capacity:
- Assisting with and attending attorney CLEs, trainings, clinics, and other outreach events
- Offering pro bono opportunities to attorneys who have signed up to volunteer with VIP
- Participating in programs to engage VIP stakeholders in organizations, legal services agencies, and courts
Developing practical skills in writing, research, and case management technology:
- Researching legal issues to support volunteers and staff
- Updating volunteer guides and writing client letters that involve legal analysis
- Using leading technology in all aspects of work with cases, clients, and volunteer
How to apply: E-mail cover letter and resume to Karna Laubenstein, Director of Operations, [email protected]. No calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of November 8, 2019.
What to include in your cover letter: We invite you to include a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff team and legal practice.
More information, click here.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Volunteers Needed: The 2024 National STEM Challenge Review Panel
- Volunteers Needed: Penn Graduate School of Education Tutoring Initiative
- Program Support Specialist Intern – Learn, Empower, Grow Consulting Group
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.