Sponsor-A-Scholar Coordinator, Philadelphia Futures
Posted by Philadelphia Futures on July 25, 2016
Philadelphia Futures is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing low-income, first-generation-to-college students with the tools, resources and opportunities necessary for admission to and success in college.
Since 1989, our Sponsor-A-Scholar (SAS) Program has worked with students in Philadelphia’s public schools from 9th grade through college completion. SAS high school students participate in a year-round intensive preparation program that will build academic skills, match them with a mentor, and guide them through the college application and admissions processes. SAS Coordinators support the progress of high school students and work with them intensively through enrollment in college.
Major responsibilities of the SAS Coordinator position include:
• Assisting with planning and implementation of program activities;
• Maintaining weekly contact with students to assure and support student participation in required coursework and optional extracurricular activities; providing individualized support/interventions as needed;
• Providing comprehensive support for students as they navigate the entirety of the college admission, financial aid and matriculation processes;
• Meeting periodically with students, parents/guardians and mentors to support progress, and develop and implement individualized plans for college admission;
• Maintaining records of student progress, activities, and other vital information;
• Conducting information sessions with high school partners, staff, parents and students;
• Evaluating student applications and conducting personal interviews with students and family members for admission into the program.
The SAS Coordinator will have experience in and a passion for working with underrepresented high school college students and understand the unique college guidance, admissions and financial aid needs of low-income, first-generation-to-college students.
The SAS Coordinator will have substantial experience in one or more of the following areas: college guidance and/or admissions, educational programs development, and teaching and/or training. Successful candidates for this position will have a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, outcomes-oriented, collaborative decision-making environment. Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree or comparable professional experience is preferred.
This position reports to the Director of Pre-College Programs. This is a full-time, exempt position with occasional evening and weekend hours required.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HR@philadelphiafutures.org and note “SAS Coordinator” in the subject line.
- Sustainability Coordinator, Temple University Office of Sustainability
- Carpenter, Habitat for Humanity – Sep 2
- Lead Carpenter, Habitat for Humanity – Sep 2
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.