South Philadelphia Prevention Coordinator, United Communities of Southeast Philadelphia
POSITION: SOUTH PHILADELPHIA PREVENTION COALITION COORDINATOR
STATUS: Full-time, 40 hours/wk)
Organization Summary: The Southeast Philadelphia Collaborative (SEPC) is an initiative of United Communities Southeast Philadelphia that informs, educates and organizes a broad, diverse network of community partners, policymakers and stakeholders to leverage greater access to resources and opportunities that address the needs of youth in South Philadelphia. Members of the SEPC team support the majority of United Communities’ community outreach and organizing efforts. SEPC staff work to build partnerships and collaboration among agencies in the neighborhood through a combination of school and neighborhood-based projects, including the coordination of the South Philadelphia Prevention Coalition.
Position Summary: The South Philadelphia Prevention Coalition Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the work of the South Philadelphia Prevention Coalition. This includes planning and facilitating monthly meetings, building relationships with coalition members, and understanding the social dynamics of this ethnically and economically diverse community. This position is fully funded by the federal Drug-Free Communities Support Program, and the coalition is in the 2nd year of this 5-year grant. The Drug-Free Communities Support Program provides funding to community-based coalitions that organize to prevent youth substance use. The goals of the program are 1.) To establish and strengthen collaboration among communities, private nonprofit agencies, and Federal, State, local and tribal governments to support the efforts of community coalitions to prevent and reduce substance use among youth. And 2.) To reduce substance abuse among youth and, over time, among adults by addressing the factors in a community that increase the risk of substance abuse and promoting the factors that minimize the risk of substance abuse. The Coordinator will work with all coalition members and organizations to address these goals in South Philadelphia.
Qualifications – Essential:
- Four (4) year college degree in health education, public health, health and human services or equivalent work experience
- Ability to network and build relationships with diverse groups of people
Knowledge, Skills & Experience – Essential:
- Experience leading or facilitating meetings, discussions, and/or collaborative projects
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook), particularly using Excel to collate data sets and create user-friendly graphs
- Excellent oral and written communication and listening skills
- Excellent note-taking ability
- Strong problem-solving ability and capacity to operate at a systems-level
- Site Coordinator, Playworks
- Administrative and Event Associate., Bicycle Coalition
- Accounting Associate (Remote), Center for Black Educator Development
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.