Social Enterprises Manager, Project HOME
Posted by Project H.O.M.E. on July 18, 2016
Social Enterprises Manager
Location: Project HOME – 1515 Fairmount Street
Exciting growth opportunity to design and launch a new social enterprise at a highly respected direct service agency in Philadelphia.
The Social Enterprises Manager oversees a portfolio of small businesses that provide work and training opportunities for people who have experienced homelessness. Employees are residents of Project HOME’s permanent housing or safe havens. The Manager ensures that jobs are meaningful, leading to professional growth and/or better health and well-being for the employee.
At this time, the Department is poised for growth, intending to build on experience and to bring in new ideas to provide a significant expansion in employment opportunities for very low-income residents.
The manager has bottom line responsibility for each business, and sustains an environment across enterprises that encourages and supports working, recovery and empowerment. This position is supported by the experience and commitment of an extraordinary internal team of direct service workers, in addition to an extended network of internal and external stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Help design and launch a new financially viable enterprise that will employ a large number of unemployed and underemployed residents at Project HOME;
- Oversee the three supervisors who are responsible for daily operations at Project HOME’s existing enterprises, which include candle- and soap-making, art workshops and sales, a thrift store boutique, and a pack & ship operation for online sales;
- Provide oversight to resident employees working at Library of Philadelphia;
- Implement evidenced-based job training practices appropriate for people who have histories of homelessness, addiction and/or mental health conditions;
- Maintain adequate financial controls and accurate records of all program expenses and income generated through sales;
- Assess and evaluate costs vs. outcomes of enterprise programs in order to increase number of residents who successfully access jobs and achieve desired goals/outcomes;
- Recruit volunteers with specialized skills to provide technical assistance to department, i.e, marketing functions, product merchandising, graphic design;
- Support supervisors to create additional distribution opportunities for goods created by Project HOME enterprises;
- Identify staff development training needs for new and ongoing activities;
- Other duties as assigned.
- MBA Degree or Bachelors Degree with demonstrated business management skills;
- Two + years supervisory experience that includes setting and achieving operating /financial goals;
- Knowledge of person-centered approaches to supervision;
- Entrepreneurial and enthusiastic about shaping systems, processes and relationships;
- Persistent and resourceful — gets the job done;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail, can manage multiple deadlines simultaneously;
- Comfortable with financial oversight, can develop and manage budgets;
- Knowledge of mental health issues, substance use and recovery, homelessness, unemployment and underemployment;
- Flexible and cool under pressure. Able to solve problems in a complex, at times ambiguous and fast-moving, environment.
- Previous product development or business operations experience, such as supply chain, retail;
- Program design and evaluation experience.
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Freedom Schools Literacy Academy Paid Teacher Apprenticeship
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.