Slide deck and recording: How Higher ed can help with Act 158
Posted by PHENND on February 14, 2023
On January 31st, PHENND hosted a virtual discussion with representatives from the Pennsylvania Department of Education who gave a brief overview of the graduation pathways described in Act 158. Following that presentation, there was ample time for an open Q&A.
Access the slide deck presented by the PA Department of Education
Watch the call recording on YouTube*.
See the Jamboard with some thoughts generated by the discussion.
* Follow-up note from presenter Brian Campbell, after the event:
Both the Alternative Assessment and the Evidence Based Pathways require acceptance to an accredited, non-profit IHE [that meets the definition for that pathway] and “evidence of the ability to enroll in college-level, credit-bearing coursework.”
Per our guidance in the toolkit, if the letter of admittance is non-conditional (it is explicit that the student will not be required to take remedial or non-college-level/non-credit-bearing coursework as a condition to enrollment), the student does not need to provide additional evidence of their ability to enroll in college-level, credit-bearing coursework.
However, if the admittance is conditional upon the student taking remedial or non-college-level/non-credit-bearing coursework or does not address/waive the requirement for remedial or non-college-level/non-credit-bearing coursework, the student must provide supplemental evidence of their ability to enroll in college-level, credit-bearing coursework through one of the following:
– Placement test results (or equivalent criteria established by the IHE) indicating the student may enroll in college-level coursework in every subject area
– College registration confirmation of enrollment in college-level courses (non-remedial) only
– A locally established graduate profile (see the toolkit)
More in "PHENND Events/Activities"
- PHENND Fellows VISTA Program Information Virtual Session – Dec 11
- Virtual Event: Pittsburgh Scholar House: A model for supporting parenting college students – Nov 29
- Info Session: 2024-2025 West Philadelphia Promise Corps – Nov 8, 13 or Dec 6
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.