Seasonal Part-time Garden Educator, Urban Tree Connection
Posted by Urban Tree Connection on April 27, 2015
JOB TITLE: Seasonal Part-time Garden Educator
Time Commitment: 20-25 hrs/wk, beginning in May
Urban Tree Connection works in Haddington, West Philadelphia to transform vacant land into positive, safe spaces that foster community engagement, food access and wellness. Our programs empower youth and adults to take responsibility for their community and become leaders in creating positive, healthy and safe spaces. The Memorial and Pearl Street Gardens are community gardens and parks that contain children’s gardens, community garden plots, and spaces for gathering/activities.
Urban Tree Connection is currently seeking part-time Garden Educators to deliver gardening, environmental and arts programming at its Pearl Street and Memorial Garden located in Haddington. The Garden Educator will assist in running an after-school program with “Sprouts” -children ages 5 to 10; and the “Veggie Kids” program for teens & pre-teens to develop leadership skills through growing, harvesting, and distributing their own fruits and vegetables to neighbors. The Garden Educator will also actively engage adult community members in community gardening, maintenance, programs, cooking and wellness classes and decision-making around the garden. An additional 2 to 3 hours per week would be spent preparing for program delivery, attending meetings, and completing administrative tasks.
Compensation is $12 per hour.
Qualities We Seek:
• Open to personal growth and new experiences
• Strong communication skills
• Respect for people of all cultures and backgrounds
• Commitment to justice and equality
• Able to work effectively independently and as part of a collaborative team
• Interest or experience in farming, gardening, landscaping and wellness
Skills and Background We Seek:
• High school diploma
• Minimum 3 years working with youth
• Experience working as a Community Organizer and/or Social Worker
• Experience working with low income, communities of color
• Ability to work in physically demanding environment while modeling endurance and a positive attitude
UTC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, working class people, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to:
Noelle Warford, Programs Director at email@example.com
For questions or additional information call: (215) 877 – 7203
- Associate Director (2 Positions), Civic House, UPenn – Jun 5
- Associate Director, Workforce & Economic Impact, Drexel – May 29
- Executive Director, ArtWell – Jun 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.