Science Outreach Education, Wagner Free Institute of Science
Posted by Wagner Free Institute of Science on December 21, 2021
The Wagner Free Institute of Science is a National Landmark, natural history museum and educational institution that fosters science literacy through free programs. Founded in 1855, the Wagner serves 36,000+ people each year through its museum, library and extensive educational programs. The Wagner seeks a Science Outreach Educator to engage and educate children and families in the Wagner’s community.
The Science Outreach Educator will work within the Children’s Education Department to develop and implement educational initiatives for children in North Philadelphia including intensive hands-on science programs at local elementary schools (GeoKids & SNAP), and science lessons at schools, libraries and community centers. GeoKids is a yearlong school program, now in its 29th year, which relies on collaborative relationships with teachers, university partners and organizations across the city to create and deliver a hands-on science curriculum. The program includes field experiences, designed and facilitated by Wagner educators, which enhances science learning in the classroom. The Wagner’s outreach programs require a skilled educator with a deep understanding of science and science pedagogy. As an outreach educator, the right candidate will cultivate community relationships to deepen community engagement with the museum’s resources.
- Participate in delivering, developing, evaluating and refining community and children’s outreach programs including GeoKids
- Collaborate with local peer organizations to plan and deliver outreach programs
- Serve as a mentor and partner for Children’s Education interns
- Promote and distribute program offerings to the community and other audiences
- Represent museum in community and citywide outreach events
- Assist with Institute special events and visitor services
- Other duties as assigned
- Manager of Communications, Women’s Way
- Vaccine Equity Project Manager (Consultant/Contractor), AFAHO – Jan 28
- Programs Assistant (Full-Time), AFAHO – Jan 31
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.