SCEP WorkReady Specialist, North Light Community Center
Posted by North Light Community Center on March 12, 2019
North Light Community Center is a multi-service, community based non-profit organization located at 175 Green Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19127. Founded in 1936, North Light’s mission is to enable people of all ages and abilities in our communities, especially those most in need, to reach their full potential as productive and responsible citizens through initiatives that support and enrich children, teens, and families. North Light’s vision is to support and strengthen our diverse neighborhoods by meeting the evolving needs of individuals and families, working to develop the whole person from educating to providing sustenance, and thus, cultivate a vibrant community. Current programs include quality year-round licensed childcare for school age children, youth development programs, arts and recreation, emergency supports, teen employment, and neighborhood access to technology. North Light welcomes neighbors into our center through a dynamic outdoor play space and enrichment classes for children and adults. With ninety percent of the funding coming from charitable sources, North Light accepts and appreciates donations online and via mail throughout the year. For additional information about North Light’s programs and services, visit northlightcc.org or call 215-483-4800.
Job Position: SCEP WorkReady Specialist
When: Mid March–Mid August
- Specialists will work approximately 280 total hours with some flexibility (10 – 25 hrs / wk as follows: March – 10 hrs / wk; April – June – 15 hrs/ wk; July – mid August-25 hrs / wk
- Will cover transportation costs – public transit and/or mileage reimbursement
WorkReady Summer is a six week summer internship program for youth who have completed grades 10 to 12. North Light will place students in jobs that will advance their career interests. SCEP WorkReady Specialists are an integral part of the program working as advisors, mentors, and advocates for youth as they experience their first ‘real’ job. Specialists guide youth through enrollment, the pre-employment process, which includes interview training and resume building, monitor the youth interns’ progress during the summer and assist with any difficulties that arise, develop relationships with Worksite Supervisors, assist youth with post-secondary & career planning, plan and facilitate weekly professional development workshops, responsible for entering in payroll for interns and organize an end of program Awards Dinner.
Interested candidates must:
- Have completed at least two years of College or University
- Have an overall GPA of 2.6 or higher preferred
- Have exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Have basic computer literacy i.e. internet, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel
- Ability to effectively model and teach appropriate work readiness skills to youth
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
Applicants should send resumes to email@example.com.
- High School and Post-Secondary Lead Instructor
- Compliance Manager, Belmont Charter Network
- OST ASSISTANT, Belmont Academy Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.