Research Manager, Character Lab
Posted by Character Lab on April 3, 2017
Character Lab is a Philadelphia-based, non-profit organization that aims to advance the science and practice of character development so that all kids can reach their fullest potential.
The Research Manager will guide a variety of research projects that provide teachers and students with tools and resources for character development. To this end, the Research Manager will also ensure that research is running smoothly at all our partner schools. Reporting to our Director of Research, Dr. Sean Talamas, as well as collaborating with other research coordinators and postdoctoral fellows, this Research Manager will come into a role where they can combine their passion for research with their skills in project management and delegation.
We are looking for an individual who has hands-on experience with research and understands its demands. Juggling multiple projects at once, the right candidate embraces time management, can spot areas to improve process inefficiencies, and will thrive within our small and dynamic team.
- Overseeing research projects and staff
- Coordinating data collections with schools/districts
- Writing/managing IRB protocol and grant proposals
- Training and supervising undergraduate research assistants
- Creating operational procedures for data management
- Advising staff on research design and analyses
- Hiring and managing work-study students as periodically needed for research projects
- Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
- Some light to medium level of manual labor (e.g., preparing mailings, moving boxes of materials)
Character Lab is an equal opportunity employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please submit a compelling cover letter with your resume.
- Bachelor’s in Psychology, Statistics, or a related social sciences field, Master’s preferred
- 3-5 years work experience
- Significant experience in and strong passion for social science research
- Knowledge in statistics and data management (e.g., experience with SPSS, organizing data)
- Prior experience working with schools preferred
- Fierce work ethic and sense of purpose, with the ability to work well as part of a dynamic start-up
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Highly effective interpersonal communication, collaboration, and writing skills
- Excellent team leadership skills
- Deputy Executive Director of Place-Based Initiatives, City of Philadelphia
- Transforming Justice Hub Facilitator, CORA
- Data Analyst, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.