Public Programs Associate, Philadelphia FIGHT
Posted by Philadelphia FIGHT on February 21, 2016
Reports to: Community and Institutional Relations Supervisor
The Public Programs Associate assists the Education and Development Departments of Philadelphia FIGHT to execute and fund high-quality, high-visibility HIV/AIDS-specific and comprehensive public education programming by providing support for AIDS Education Month (AEM) as well as ongoing fundraising initiatives. In the months leading up to AIDS Education Month each June, this position serves a key role in managing all AEM events, developing workshops for conferences, and supporting community partnerships. Additionally, this position supports FIGHT fundraising and communications efforts by providing assistance in developing marketing materials and grant applications, maintaining FIGHT websites, and managing logistics for Development and Education department events outside of AEM. This position falls within the Education Department, but works closely with the Development and Administration departments, and works with all FIGHT departments on AEM events.
The Public Programs Associate will work 40 hours per week, and must be able to work nights and weekends in May and June.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Workflow for this position is broken into two distinct reporting periods. This position is project-dedicated for AEM during January through June, and works on all other projects between July and December.
AIDS Education Month Duties (December – June)
- Attend all regular committee meetings for the internal staff planning committee as well as community Prevention Summit, Prison Summit, Cookout, and Hip Hop for Philly event planning committees, and record minutes and maintain sign-in sheets
- Manage onsite logistics for all AEM events, including HIV testing events, e.g. event setup, breakdown and registration
- Manage distribution of all AEM materials, including printed materials, branded collateral (e.g. bags, pens, and t-shirts), and all program supplies
- Assist in researching and developing workshops for AEM conferences and programs with specific attention to the HIV
- Prevention and Outreach Summit and the Prison Healthcare and Reentry Summit.
- Assist committees in identifying appropriate speakers and moderators and in developing moderator questions or panel talking points
- Maintain contact with speakers, exhibitors, and invited guests at the direction of event chair/staff and maintain speaker, exhibitor, and event invitee databases
- Send speaker confirmation letters and communicate logistics with presenters, exhibitors, and invited guests
- Assist in coordinating with the Philadelphia Prison System and those who are incarcerated to develop workshops for the Prison Summit
- Plan additional activities and programming outside of workshops for conferences, including vendor tables, art displays, movie screenings, etc.
- Coordinate continuing education units (CEUs) for conferences, and ensure that all attendees seeking CEUs receive appropriate documentation
- Ensure workshop and conference evaluations are disseminated and returned, and analyze the results of these evaluations in a timely manner
- Maintain and report on all data collected related to AIDS Education Month events attendance and evaluations
- Recruit, manage, and place AEM community volunteers, and maintain communication with AEM volunteers in advance of all relevant events
- Assist in planning and managing the AEM Planning Kickoff Meeting, including calling planning partners in advance of this event to invite them to participate in AEM activities
- Other AIDS Education Month duties as assigned
Other Development and Education Programs (July – December)
Government and Foundation Grant Applications
- Assist with grant applications for governmental and institutional funders
- Assist in developing general and program-specific boilerplate for FIGHT programs
- Regularly aggregate and synthesize population demographic and health data from the Census Bureau as well as a variety of other databases for use in grants and publications
- Assist in uploading grant materials and troubleshooting issues with grant submissions
- Work with the Community and Institutional Relations Supervisor to ensure that all attachments and addenda for grants is collected well in advance of submission deadlines, and that all grant materials meet applicable instructions and requirements
- Ensure that all grant records are organized and accurately processed
Other Fundraising and Events Support
- Support the Development and Education Departments in coordinating event logistics, e.g. day-of-event support and event registration
- Assist in managing Philadelphia FIGHT’s Raiser’s Edge donor database
- Assist in developing and editing fundraising and communications materials
- Support donor stewardship services provided by Philadelphia FIGHT, e.g. gifts processing and thank-you letters
- Assist in maintaining the Philadelphia FIGHT main website, as well as individual FIGHT program websites (e.g. the AEM, TEACH, and Y-HEP website)
Other Education Department Support
- Assist in compiling data for the Greater Philadelphia AIDS Resource Guide
- Occasionally assist with AIDS Library daily operations, e.g. staffing the information desk and fulfilling patron requests
- Assist with other Education Department projects, as assigned
- Afterschool Group Leaders, Martha Washington School
- Education Coordinator, Pendle Hill – Oct 20
- STEM Workforce Development Manager, McKinney Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.