Pt-time Chef Educator, Greensgrow
Posted by Greensgrow Farms on April 17, 2017
Chef Educator: Part Time
Posted March 29, 2017
Greensgrow is committed to growing and supporting healthy communities and aims to make food demonstrations and recipe suggestions a central and engaging component of each CSA pickup and our food access programs. The main components of this initiative involve simultaneous cooking, offering nutrition tips (“common knowledge”), sharing recipes and skills for preparing meals throughout the week during our CSA & SNAP Share distributions. The purpose is that Greensgrow staff, specifically the Chef Educator, is available to answer questions as needed as members receive and utilize the fresh products.
Greensgrow’s Chef Educator is an important member of our Fresh Food Team, serving as a direct liaison with our CSA members, and playing an essential role by providing a positive and encouraging experience. In this role, the individual will work with the Food Team to prepare a sample menu that is healthy, addresses the taste preferences of our clients, and is easily replicated at home. The Chef Educator is responsible for creating recipes for our weekly newsletter and conducting live cooking demonstrations to take place during the pickups so that members can sample the food and learn preparation techniques.
The Chef Educator must be comfortable working with diverse populations and individuals with limited food preparation skills. Successful candidates will have strong knowledge of a range of food preparation and cooking techniques, as well as professional kitchen experience. Comfort and ease in dealing with members of the public is essential.
- Work with Greensgrow’s Fresh Food Team to develop recipes using available produce to help members and customers use their produce to the fullest extent.
- Prepare recipes for the weekly newsletter that incorporate themes + meal planning
- Be available for evening and weekend hours as required, and maintain some schedule flexibility as position warrants. We have a specific schedule for CSA pickups + events that will be shared before hiring.
- Speak knowledgeably about cooking techniques, produce storage and nutrition as customer questions arise.
- Provide an exemplary customer experience and maintain a genuine interest in creating a culture of health and success amongst the diversity of Greensgrow members.
- Site Coordinator, Playworks
- Administrative and Event Associate., Bicycle Coalition
- Accounting Associate (Remote), Center for Black Educator Development
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.