Pt-time Adult Literacy Instructor, Congreso de Latinos Unidos
Posted by Congreso de Latinos Unidos on November 6, 2017
Congreso’s Adult Education department provides various programs and services to adults of all ages who are preparing for high school equivalency credentials, as well as college and career readiness. This part-time Adult Literacy Instructor position will focus on supporting trainees at ECA’s (Energy Coordinating Agency) Knight Green Jobs Training Center with academic and job readiness skills needed to complete the training programs and go on to careers in the building and energy efficiency trades. While the position is a part of Congreso’s Adult Education team and supervised by the Congreso’s Education Services Manager, the main work occurs on site at the ECA training center in North Philadelphia. The Adult Literacy Instructor will provide contextualized numeracy (up to basic algebra and geometry), literacy and job readiness instruction. In addition, this position includes employment-focused case management services which include goal-planning, screening and referrals for barriers to success such as mental health, finances, or housing. The Adult Literacy Instructor will help clients navigate TANF benefits and other challenges with their attendance and progress
- Prepare and deliver contextualized numeracy (up to basic algebra and geometry), literacy and job readiness instruction one day a week.
- Utilize technology including Microsoft Office software, email, and web-based applications to deliver curriculum.
- Assist students in gaining critical thinking skills, problem solving techniques, and proficiency in numeracy and literacy.
- Facilitate personal and professional goal planning with clients.
- Screen client for any barriers that may impact their ability to complete the training and be successful in employment, including mental and physical health, financial, housing, and educational barriers.
- Refer client to any of Congreso’s onsite multi-service options, as necessary.
- Refer client to any external entities for services, as necessary.
- Provide coaching to client around navigating any barriers or challenges to program focus, attendance, and progress.
- Coach client around navigation of TANF benefits during each phase of the 12-week training.
- Provide fundamental job readiness and career coaching support and guidance.
- Work with team members to evaluate student academic progress, identify solutions to students’ academic and social barriers, and assess project performance.
- Work diligently to achieve program outcomes as related to staff performance evaluation.
- Attend regular staff, team, divisional, and individual supervisory meetings, as scheduled.
- Participate in agency activities, quarterly meetings, and committees in order to share information that will promote the purpose and mission of Congreso.
1. Attend relevant workshops or join professional groups as necessary to maintain professional knowledge and licensure.
2. Adheres to Congreso’s security guidelines and ensures the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
3. Facilitates and attends relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals.
4. Completes special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department, as directed by Supervisor.
5. Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
- 2 to 3+ years work experience providing direct educational services to youth, young adults, the community, or related experience.
- Experience teaching subject matter associated with adult basic education and exam preparation and experience working in alternative education settings preferred.
- Candidate should have knowledge of the Puerto Rican and Latino community of Philadelphia; and excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly in Excel and Word, required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, English, Math-Science, Social Sciences, or related field.
- TABE Administration certificate a plus
- Microsoft Office Certifications a plus
Congreso is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Congreso is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. All employment decisions at Congreso are made without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability or military/veteran status, or any other protected class as set forth under applicable State, Local and Federal Civil Rights Laws.
Congreso is a multi-service nonprofit organization whose mission is to strengthen Latino communities through social, economic, education, and health services; leadership development and advocacy. Founded in Philadelphia in 1977, Congreso has grown into a national thought leader on nonprofit performance management with an expert focus on the Latino community. Congreso is anchored by its innovative Primary Client Model (PCM™), and provides direct services to residents of the Philadelphia region while providing consult to other nonprofits and government systems nationally.
- Enrollment and Partnerships Manager, Let’s Get Ready
- Communications Manager, National Constitution Center
- Digital Media Specialist, National Constitution Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.