Program Manager, Need in Deed
Posted by Need In Deed on June 27, 2016
Need in Deed seeks a Program Manager (Full-time)
Need in Deed seeks full-time Program Manager to work with the program team to support 1st and 2nd year Teacher Network members in the facilitation of Need in Deed’s My Voice service-learning framework in Philadelphia 3rd-8th grade classrooms.
Since it’s founding in 1987, Need in Deed’s mission has been to work with students, teachers and community partners to prepare youth for civic responsibility and service to others. We accomplish this through training and supporting teachers as they integrate service-learning with their classroom practices. Our goal is to enable young people to become capable, contributing members of society. Need in Deed has inspired teachers and their students to affect positive change in their communities for over 25 years.
Since 2005 Need in Deed has provided professional development for 3rd – 8th grade teachers in Philadelphia district and charter schools. We provide training and support to bring service-learning and community engagement into classrooms.
Using our My Voice framework, our training includes approximately 35 hours of formal training over the course of the school year, as well as a 2-day institute in the summer. Teachers receive one-on-one project support and coaching throughout the school year. Teachers who apply and are accepted join a network of professionals dedicated to bringing service-learning to their classroom.
Specific areas of responsibility:
• Support Teacher Network members in service-learning theory and practice through formal and informal professional development sessions and classroom visits
• Research community resources to support development of issues in the classroom
• Develop relationships with potential community partners, and help those partners work successfully in grades 3-8 classrooms
• Maintain accurate and timely records on project activities for assigned teachers
• Cultivate Network members as facilitators and representatives of the Teacher Network
• Develop activities, lesson plans, and support materials to support My Voice framework
• Help develop and facilitate strategies for recruiting new Network members
• Make recommendations for the future direction of the Teacher Network
• Stay current with education literature and trends
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s desirable
• Desirable background experience could include: youth program development, human services, non-profit, community networks, professional learning communities
• Worked with K-12 teachers, preferably in an urban setting
• Experience teaching in public school classrooms, preferably in an urban setting
• Experience as a trainer, coach, or professional developer
• Driver’s License required; reliable access to a car necessary
Competencies and skills
• Ability to thrive when facing flexible and changing priorities
• Desire to work in a small, committed, closely-knit environment
• Sense of humor; ability to handle roadblocks and challenges with grace
• Ability to organize records and information and to communicate these clearly with other team members
• Desire to work as part of a team, including valuing group processes
• Highly self-motivated and self-driven with ability to see tasks/projects through from start to finish
• High level of professional judgment, including discerning when to seek advice from team members and/or Program Director
• Ability to pro-actively anticipate tasks/needs and to plan accordingly
• Excellent interpersonal skills: able to interact in person, over phone and by email with NID constituents, including teachers, community partners, and administrators
• Strong written communications skills: able to compose clear and concise letters, emails, documents and reports
• Strong verbal communications and presentation skills: able to conduct trainings, promote the organization and its capabilities, and communicate essential information in timely matter to teachers, NID staff, and NID partners
• Demonstrated strategic thinking skills; experience with data-driven decision making
• Computer literacy: familiarity with Macs, Word, Excel, and Google tools
Qualified applicants should email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information available at http://www.needindeed.org/employment-opportunities.php
No calls, please.
- Site Coordinator, Playworks
- Administrative and Event Associate., Bicycle Coalition
- Accounting Associate (Remote), Center for Black Educator Development
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.