Program Leader-Recreation, Lenfest Center
Posted by Lenfest Center on October 5, 2015
The Lenfest Center is a privately owned and operated community center located in the Hunting Park community of North Philadelphia. The center’s mission is to improve the mental, physical and social health of youth in the Hunting Park community. We provide space and resources for outside organizations and offer academic and recreational programs for youth in grades K-12. The Lenfest Center is an equal opportunity employer. For more information visit: http://www.lenfestcenter.org
Position: Program Leader-Recreation
Hours and Benefits: Part-time position. Hourly salary, paid sick leave, professional development opportunities. Employees will be expected to work Monday-Friday, evening hours. Those who can not commit to that availability need not apply.
Program Leader-Recreation: This is a unique opportunity for a highly qualified individual to assist in the implementation of innovative out-of-school programs for youth grades k-12. The Recreation Program Leader will support the Program Director coordinating a year-round recreational and educational curriculum, with a focus on leading games, activities, and sports leagues. Candidates must have experience working with youth, must be comfortable interacting with youth of all ages and backgrounds, and must be passionate about creating an environment in which young people can reach their potential.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
1. Design and implement games for skill building and character development.
2. Coach/ assistant coach sports leagues, create and instruct drills, organize league games.
3. Administer fitness/wellness tests. Be prepared to educate on healthy habits.
4. Work with Program Director to develop a classroom/gym time management plan that aims to reward positive behavior and resolve student conflict with restorative mediation.
5. Assist Program Director in creating curriculum for Lenfest Learners fitness time.
6. Assist in planning and supervision of non-Lenfest Learner’s activities and clubs.
7. Provide supervision for field trips and special events.
8. Uphold the Lenfest Center Code of Conduct to its highest standard to ensure a safe and positive environment for all who enter the building.
1. Must be self-motivated and able to work in a fluid environment with different projects and challenges arising daily.
2. Must be comfortable working in both collaborative and individual settings.
3. Dynamic! What does dynamic mean to us? Being creative, resilient, optimistic, energetic, and relatable are examples of important qualities that we value.
4. Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
5. Must pass a criminal background check.
6. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and two professional references. In-lieu of a cover letter please answer the following questions as thoroughly as possible:
1. What are some life lessons that you would like to teach youth through sports? Briefly, explain how you could do so.
2. What are some ways adults who work with youth can create a safe space and positive environment?
3. Tell us in a few lines what would make you a dynamic addition to our center and staff.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to:
3890 N. 10th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19140
- Associate Director (2 Positions), Civic House, UPenn – Jun 5
- Associate Director, Workforce & Economic Impact, Drexel – May 29
- Executive Director, ArtWell – Jun 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.