Program Leader-Education, Lenfest Center
Posted by Lenfest Center on October 5, 2015
The Lenfest Center is a privately owned and operated community center located in the Hunting Park community of North Philadelphia. The center’s mission is to improve the mental, physical and social health of youth in the Hunting Park community. We provide space and resources for outside organizations and offer academic and recreational programs for youth in grades K-12. The Lenfest Center is an equal opportunity employer. For more information visit: http://www.lenfestcenter.org
Position: Program Leader-Education
Hours and Benefits: Part-time position. Hourly salary, paid sick leave, professional development opportunities. Important: Non-Summer hours will be in the evenings from 2:30-7:30pm Monday-Thursday and Fridays 12-5pm. Having those hours free is crucial for anyone applying for this position.
Program Leader-Education: This is a unique opportunity for a highly qualified individual to assist in the creation and implementation of innovative out-of-school programs for youths in grades K-8. The Program Leader will work closely with the Education Coordinator to build a year-round educational and enrichment curriculum for the Lenfest Learners, the Lenfest Center’s after-school program. Candidates must have experience working with youth, must be comfortable interacting with youth of all ages and backgrounds, and must be passionate about helping youth reach their full potential as leaders and learners.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
1. Responsible for the daily management of a specific age group in the Lenfest Learners program. Create and implement curriculum and work towards goals developed in conjunction with Education Coordinator.
2. Work with Education Coordinator and Program Counselor to develop a classroom management plan that aims to reward positive behavior and resolve student conflict with restorative mediation.
3. Assist in planning and supervision of non-Lenfest Learner’s activities and clubs.
4. Provide supervision for field trips and special events.
5. Uphold the Lenfest Center Code of Conduct to its highest standard to ensure a safe and positive environment for all who enter the building.
1. Must be self-motivated and able to work in a fluid environment with different projects and challenges arising daily.
2. Must be comfortable working in both collaborative and individual settings.
3. Dynamic! What does dynamic mean to us? Being creative, resilient, optimistic, energetic, and relatable are examples of important qualities that we value.
4. Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
5. Must pass a criminal background check.
6. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and two professional references. In-lieu of a cover letter please answer the following questions as thoroughly as possible:
1. How do you define classroom management and describe in detail your classroom management style.
2. What lessons, issues, or areas of development do you feel are important to explore with youth? Briefly, explain how you could do so.
3. Tell us in a few lines what would make you a dynamic addition to our center and staff.
Please submit to:
Program Director, the Lenfest Center
3890 N. 10th St. Philadelphia PA 19140
- Associate Director (2 Positions), Civic House, UPenn – Jun 5
- Associate Director, Workforce & Economic Impact, Drexel – May 29
- Executive Director, ArtWell – Jun 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.