Program Coordinator of ADELANTE Pilot Program
Posted by on April 08, 2013
This AmeriCorps*VISTA position is a collaboration between Bryn Mawr College and ACLAMO Family Centers, Norristown, PA
To address the academic and college focused needs of the vulnerable youth of Norristown, Bryn Mawr
College and ACLAMO are proposing to pilot ADELANTE, a college-access program for Spanish speaking
Norristown youth in grades 7 & 8. ADELANTE builds upon ACLAMO’s mission to support students
throughout all phases of their educational careers. Through dynamic college preparatory based workshops and interactive activities, college student panels and other campus connections, students enrolled in the program will begin to understand and conceptualize a viable pathway to college.
For the -13-’14 school year, ADELANTE will serve up to 20 Spanish speaking Norristown youth in grades 7& 8. Students will engage in tutoring and homework help through regular programming, and will be
exposed to stimulating college preparatory work through ADELANTE enrichment workshops. Students will benefit from STEM themed workshops, engaging college exploration sessions with outside presenters and on and off site exploration activities. The program team, including Bryn Mawr College volunteers, will also work to strengthen parent involvement, focusing on how parents can help support dedication to learning, continued academic achievement and commitment to post-secondary education and training as an achievable goal.
This exciting position is the perfect mix of education, youth work and community partnership development. The VISTA will have a unique opportunity to develop a multifaceted program within the framework of an exemplary partnership between ACLAMO and Bryn Mawr College. The VISTA candidate must be a US Citizen, and able to complete the duties as follows:
The VISTA’s primary responsibilities will be to
• Research best practices from known College Access programs and develop relationships with educators in Norristown, in an effort to solicit feedback and suggestions on academic gaps and effective college preparatory information.
• Develop college access enrichment programming for 7th and 8th graders through the ADELANTE program. Programming will address topics such as applying for college, finding scholarships, researching financial aid ,choosing appropriate classes in high school and more
• Develop programming or related supportive materials for parents, aimed at increasing awareness of their student’s academic path as well as generating aspirational beliefs related to the benefit of college
• Recruit, train and orient Bryn Mawr College student volunteers to implement ADELANTE college access programming
• Manage the volunteer experience, which includes scheduling workshops, organizing volunteers, arranging transportation and addressing any other issues related to ADELANTE programming.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Educational or related background in STEM ( Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
• Demonstrated proficiency in conversational Spanish
• Significant level of work or volunteer experience with middle school age youth
• Investment in the issues of community and educational development
• Possession of valid drivers’ license, insurance and access to a vehicle
• Weekend availability- specifically Friday evenings and Saturday during the day for programming
• A housing/meal stipend of $10,000, provided by Bryn Mawr College
• Annual living allowance $12,312
• End of Service Award – Education Award of $5,550 or Cash Stipend of $1,500. Health Coverage provided by Seven Corners
• Relocation support and Child Care Benefits, if Eligible
• Travel Reimbursement
• Professional Development and support from PA Campus Compact
• Access to college facilities and campus resources as offered to Temporary Staff member
Term: Tentatively July 26, 2013 – July 25, 2014, with mandatory orientation beginning July 21, 2013.
Application Requests: When applying, please include a copy of your resume, as well as a cover letter indicating your specific interests and qualifications as it relates to this position. Applications accepted on rolling basis.
Deadline: April 22nd
Direct all inquiries to:
Kelly Sheard, Assistant Director
Civic Engagement Office, Bryn Mawr College
101 N. Merion Avenue, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Phone: (610) 526-7967, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Coordinator, Intergenerational Center
- Family & Friends Program Coordinator, Temple Univ.
- Workforce Employment Specialist, College of Education
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.