PHENND Seeks Next Steps AmeriCorps Team Leaders – Cheyney & La Salle
Posted by PHENND on February 28, 2023
The Next Steps AmeriCorps is designed as a college retention initiate for rising sophomores and juniors who are Pell-eligible graduates of high poverty school districts. The Next Steps AmeriCorps program engages college students in community service, mentoring, supportive workshops and leadership development. Participants known as Corps members, complete 300 hours of community service in the course of one year. Corps are placed with community service placements and also mentor one incoming first-year student as part of their service. Team Leaders will be an integral part of the Next Steps AmeriCorps program and will be placed either at Cheyney University or La Salle University. Position at Arcadia University, Community College of Philadelphia, La Salle University and Temple University have been filled.
Next Steps Teams Leaders commit to a full-time year of service (1700 hours) for a living stipend of $23,500 per year. AmeriCorps members are provided health coverage if needed, and loan forbearance for any current federal student loans. Upon completion of the full year, they also receive an AmeriCorps Education Award of approximately $6,895 that can be used to pay for future educational expenses and/or pay off federal student loans. SEPTA Transpass provided for positions located in Philadelphia and mileage reimbursement for non-commuting work-related travel for positions located outside Philadelphia. Members also have access to member emergency fund through the City of Philadelphia.
Post-service benefits include: (1) Schools of National Service tuition discounts at select colleges and graduate schools (2) preferential hiring with Employers of National Service and (3) AmeriCorps Alumni Network
• Feb 28-July 31 – Online applications accepted on a rolling basis (priority deadline May 15)
• Mar 1-July 31 – First round telephone interviews completed
• Mar 15-July 31– Second round interviews and campus matching meeting
• Aug 1 – Candidates notified
• Aug 5 – Candidate commitment expected
• August 20, 2023 – AmeriCorps term start date
• August 19, 2024 – Service year ends
We are now formally recruiting for the 23-24 program year.
More in "PHENND Events/Activities"
- Virtual Event: Pittsburgh Scholar House: A model for supporting parenting college students – Nov 29
- Info Session: 2024-2025 West Philadelphia Promise Corps – Nov 8, 13 or Dec 6
- ATTN Schools: Apply to host a Community Partnership Coordinator VISTA – Jan 5
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.