Parent and Community Leadership Institute
Posted by on October 27, 2008
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR:
Parent and Community Leadership Institute (PCLI)
Presented by The Education Policy and Leadership Center
The Parent and Community Leadership Institute is a free 12-hour program presented by The Education Policy and Leadership Center (EPLC). The Institute will be offered in the Philadelphia Region during Fall 2008 as a series of four Wednesday evening Workshops conducted on November 12, 19, and December 3 and 10 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
The goals of the Institute are to:
* Develop an informed cadre of citizens who can influence public policy on educational issues.
* Enhance the knowledge and skills of local education policymakers and potential school board candidates with a focus on quality decision-making.
* Build community networks of support and advocacy for sound education policies and initiatives that strengthen families and enhance the growth and development of children.
Applications are encouraged from a broad range of current or emerging community leaders that will include parents of school-age children, business and professional persons, educators, civic leaders, local elected officials, school board members, prospective school board candidates, and others who want to learn more about public education policy issues.
All sessions will be held at the University of Pennsylvania, Penn Center for Educational Leadership, 5th Floor Conference Center, 3440 Market Street (Philadelphia, PA 19104-3325)
Workshops begin at 6:00 p.m., include a break, and end at 9:15 p.m.
A light dinner will be provided at 5:30 p.m., immediately before every session.
The Workshops include:
Session #1 – Wednesday, November 12
Topic: Governance of Public Education
Session #2 – Wednesday, November 19
Topic: Standards, Assessments, and Accountability
Session #3 – Wednesday, December 3
Topic: Financing Public Education
Session #4 – Wednesday, December 10
Topic: Parent, School and Community Partnerships; Public Advocacy
Those completing all four Workshops will receive a Leadership Program certificate from EPLC and be included in future Leadership Network activities.
How to Apply:
Although there is no registration fee, you must apply and be accepted to participate in the Parent and Community Leadership Institute. Space is limited, so please apply ASAP. The deadline is Friday, November 7, unless all spaces are filled earlier. For information and on-line application, please go to http://www.eplc.org/PCLI.html.
If you have questions about the Institute, please contact Ron Cowell at EPLC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please share this information with others who may have an interest in participating in the Parent and Community Leadership Institute.
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- Precarious Professionals: The Reasons for and Impact of Contingency Staffing on Personnel, Programs and Policies in Human Service Organizations – Nov 18
- Privilege and Punishment in an Era of Mass Incarceration – Nov 4
- Protecting Your Business’s Intellectual Property (NDAs & Trade Secrets) – Nov 10
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.