Operations Coordinator, Common Market
Posted by Common Market on October 24, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
The Common Market Mid-Atlantic, a mission-driven distributor of local foods to the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks an Operations Coordinator. Our mission is to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the schools, universities, hospitals, restaurants, and retailers that serve them. We accomplish this in two ways, through wholesale distribution, and operating The Common Market Farm Share which connects residents of the Mid-Atlantic to the local bounty through bi-weekly deliveries to their workplaces.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, results-driven and passionate about sustainable food. In addition to having the professionalism and experience to succeed in a demanding role that is critical to the success of the organization, this position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail – someone who has a positive attitude, is flexible, collaborative, and possesses excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Through this role, you will understand how our operation works in its entirety. It’s an opportunity to learn how all of the pieces come together in a model food hub and social enterprise. This is also a position that requires a lot of creativity and critical thinking. Operations is the foundation on which we have built our organization, and the person in this role will become an indispensable member of our team. There is real opportunity for growth within the position and within our organization.
- Works closely with the Director and the rest of the outreach team to create and improve systems that drive our organization. These systems include and are not limited to order entry, inventory control, food safety and routing.
- Coordinates with The Common Market procurement, operations, trucking, finance, IT and communications staff to resolve customer problems and ensure high quality customer experience.
- Learns the intricacies of maintaining the highest levels of food safety standards within our operations, implements ongoing training for staff, and plays an integral role in the annual food safety audit.
- Takes responsibility for one segment of wholesale customers, for example retailers. This will entail setting goals, creating a strategy for customer growth and retention, and working directly with buyers to promote education and sales of local farm foods.
- Plays an integral role in managing the logistics around The Common Market Farm Share program.
- Regularly evaluates and makes suggestions about how to improve/adapt to ensure a better customer experience, and more efficient operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems preferred
- Preference for someone with experience in operations, logistics, or systems implementation
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Pay commensurate with experience–negotiable
- Two weeks vacation, plus 5 holidays in first year
- Monthly $300 stipend to cover health care enrollment in the marketplace
- Free year-round membership in The Common Market Farm Share
- No phone calls please
To learn more about The Common Market and Farm Share please visit:
- Administrative Assistant (Full-Time), Bridge Way School
- Art Teacher (Part-Time), Bridge Way School
- PE/Health & Life Skills Teacher (Part-Time), Bridge Way School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.