Nutrition and Food Resources Coordinator, AmeriCorps VISTA
The Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger, in partnership with the New York City Coalition Against Hunger (NYCCAH), is seeking a dynamic AmeriCorps VISTA member to join our team in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Founded in 1996, the Coalition strives to build a community where all people have the food they need to lead healthy lives. The Coalition connects people with food assistance programs and nutrition education; provides resources to a network of food pantries; and educates the public and policymakers about responsible solutions that prevent people from going hungry.
The VISTA member will be part of the selective National Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps (AHOC)*. This is a full-time, one-year position beginning in late June, 2015. Before applying, please review AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions and Benefits information at: http://bit.ly/1dAs2FM.
The AmeriCorps VISTA member will research and develop nutrition education plans for clients of the Coalition’s Green Light Pantries, and a variety of community partners. Nutrition education will be presented along with information about SNAP and other food resources to improve access to healthy foods. The VISTA will recruit and train volunteers to help present nutrition and food resource lessons. S/he will create materials for promoting and evaluating the program through feedback from partners and participants. The VISTA will assist Coalition staff to increase participation in other FNS programs such as School and Summer Meals, and Farmers’ Market Nutrition Programs. S/he will promote SNAP farmers’ market incentives like The Food Trust’s Philly Food Bucks and Fair Food’s Double Dollars programs.
The VISTA will help improve self-sufficiency through increased awareness of employment and training programs, such as Philadelphia Works’ innovative, new No Wrong Door initiative which co-locates PA CareerLink and EARN Centers. S/he will compile and disseminate information regarding workforce development services to the public and partners through our nutrition and food resource presentations and community events.
- Experience with volunteer management and outreach, teaching or training
- Knowledge of or interest in nutrition principles and food insecurity
- Familiarity with food resources such as SNAP, pantries, summer meals
- Access to a reliable car is helpful, otherwise comfort with public transportation
- Conversational Spanish is a plus
- College degree
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent verbal and written communication for diverse audiences
- Ability to multi-task, and function independently or as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- $1026 monthly living allowance (paid bi-weekly)
- Monthly public transportation (SEPTA transpass)
- Segal Education Award ($5,730) or End-of-Service stipend ($1,500)
- Health benefits (Note: members must apply for additional coverage per ACA.)
- Opportunity to forbear student loans while in service
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Childcare assistance (if applicable)
- Optional life insurance
- One year non-competitive status for federal government positions
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
How to Apply:
By Friday, April 3rd, submit your resume with cover letter to Tanya Sen, Community Nutrition Program Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will also be required to complete AmeriCorps’ program application online at: http://1.usa.gov/SZCtfm
*About Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps:
The Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps (AHOC) is an AmeriCorps VISTA project, sponsored by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service, the Corporation for National and Community Service, and the Wal-Mart Foundation, and managed by the New York City Coalition Against Hunger. The VISTA members work in both rural and urban areas across the country as part of a public-private partnership to improve access to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly Food Stamps) for Americans in need.
- Serve Philadelphia VISTA Corps Is Accepting Applications
- Director, Sisters of Saint Joseph Welcome Center – Feb 20
- Better Bike Share Educator, Part-Time Position Seasonal (March – October), Bicycle Coalition – Feb 17
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.