Network Communications and Events Coordinator, Center for Aquatic Sciences
Posted by Adventure Aquarium on January 9, 2017
Network Communications and Events Coordinator
The Center for Aquatic Sciences at Adventure Aquarium is a not-for-profit education, research and youth development organization located at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, New Jersey. The Center is collaborating with 22 other local environmental centers in a grant funded effort to build a network focused on constituency building and public stewardship for the benefit of the Delaware River Watershed. Staff from the network of centers populate three sub-committees which focus on programs and evaluation, network development and communications.
The goal of the network building process is to enhance impact on public knowledge and actions through coordinated development of education programs and activities as well as events targeting watershed conservation and stewardship. The centers are located along waterways within the Delaware River watershed and along recreational trails known as The Circuit throughout the region.
This position is an exciting opportunity to join and serve a new broad-based collaboration with the very important mission of building watershed stewardship behaviors in residents of the region. More than 15 million people depend on the Delaware River for their drinking water. The position, which supports the Communications Team and will be housed at the Center for Aquatic Sciences at Adventure Aquarium, is full time temporary for a two year period. It is possible the position will continue beyond that point given available funding and the specific needs of the network. Significant (driving) travel between the 23 centers will be required for meetings and relationship building.
Description: The Network Communications and Events Coordinator is the liaison between the Communications Team and centers, encourages communication between centers, and provides direct support to the Communications Team for events and projects. S/he will coordinate and maintain a Network-wide online platform, inform centers and provide assistance with Network-wide communications strategies, and coordinate production of project materials and event details for network organizations and media.
• 2+ years of experience working in a nonprofit, preferably in a communications or marketing department, or equivalent experience in a business setting
• Bachelor’s Degree in marketing or communications preferred or equivalent experience
• Superb analytical, verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent project management and organizational abilities
• Proficiency with system user ware, such as Basecamp, for the chosen internal communications platform, social media, Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office suite
• Ability to work well with a team of people and develop partnerships
• A passionate interest in environmental protection and the outdoors is desirable
• The ideal candidate will be flexible, resourceful, detail-oriented, proactive, able to multitask and work independently, while maintaining a positive sense of humor
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record
• No history of allergies to animals or plants which might interfere with ability to work
• Clear criminal background check
• Oversee the deployment, maintenance, and usage of an internal communications platform, such as Basecamp, serve as key point of contact for vendor and centers
• Via active and frequent conversations, encourage centers to share ideas among peers through the platform
• Coordinate with communications firm, Environmental Leadership Strategies, and other consultants as appropriate
• Coordinate with centers regarding participation in events, including creating and distributing commitment forms
• Keep the entire Network, including Fellows internship program participants, informed of messaging from the communications firm(s)
• Attend select meetings of Communications, Network Development and Programs and Evaluation teams, preparing minutes and action item lists and distributing them to team members as applicable
• Assist and guide center staff on how to deploy messaging, and ensure messaging alignment between Teams and centers, per determined strategy
• Upload selected platform content to ensure coordination across teams
• Assist in the coordination of events to ensure public attendance, as appropriate, such as the Fellowship Summit
• Manage planning of communication events, such as River Days and coordinate production of common marketing materials (pledge boards, tablecloths, lawn signs, pennants)
• Coordinate with fiscal sponsor contact regarding center participation in events
• Develop and manage metrics reporting and analysis of communications platform performance
• Participate in development of the Network map and passport program as a communications tool
• Other duties as assigned
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Center for Aquatic Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.
- TRiO College Access Program Coordinator, Phila. Education Fund
- Nonprofit Strategic Planning Consultant (RFI) – Aug 8
- Managing Director of Program Strategies, Steppingstone Scholars
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.