National Director of Finance and Accounting, Back On My Feet
Posted by Back On My Feet on February 9, 2015
BOMF is a nonprofit organization that promotes the self-sufficiency of homeless populations by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem.
BOMF does not provide food or shelter, but instead provides a community that embraces equality, respect, discipline, teamwork and leadership. The organization consists of much more than just running: our members participate in a comprehensive program that offers connections to job training, employment and housing. Those benefits are earned by maintaining 90 percent attendance at the morning runs three days a week for our six to nine month program.
Back on My Feet has chapters in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Indianapolis and Atlanta, New York, Austin, and Los Angeles.
Back on My Feet is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on the organization, please visit: http://www.backonmyfeet.org
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for management of $5M annual budget of shared services and local chapters
- Manages all cash flow activity for forecasting, special projects and monthly burn analysis and planning
- Manages and analyze all accounts receivable and streamlines the banking functions for the organization
- Ability to effectively manage all donor payment platforms such as Kimba, Active, Paypal/Payflow, Crowdrise and others.
- Skilled at executive reporting and analysis to effectively advise executive management and the Boad of Directors
- Customer service focused providing support to natonal office and 11 chapters
- Spearheads the annual budget process for the organization and develops the final budget report for the CEO, COO and Board of Directors.
- Develops and manages the policy for flow of funds between national and regional locations
- Prepares and presents quarterly financial data to management and the Board of Directors on a disaggregated basis
- Prepares the financial statements and ensures that the annual audit conducted by an external CPA is completed accurately and on time
- Ensures compliance with all requirements of the Bureau of Charitable Organizations and the IRS
- Maintains local state compliance and sales tax compliance
- Continues to manage and develop internal control processes based upon existing and future risks within the organization
- Maximizes return on cash through sweep accounts and/or short term investments
- Supports COO in management of Executive Directors in terms of establishing annual goals, providing on the job finance coaching and evaluating performance in terms of financial management
- Provides information requested from Treasurers on local Advisory Boards
- Updates information systems relating to financial reporting and planning as needed – in particular knows how to pull information from Quickbooks and the Salesforce based CRM database
- Completes special reports and projects as requested
- Establishes the fiscal, financial, and cash management policy, and facilitates the utilization of, and adherence to, the policy
- Stays abreast of new accounting pronouncements which affect nonprofit financial statements and compliance
- Works with other key management positions to provide financial insight/support to their functionalities
- Management of insurance and liability coverage, workers compensation and other HR components
- Manages part time Bookminders support personnel
Please know that the job description is not limited to the responsibilities below and that any additional responsibilities will be discussed with you beforehand as Back on My Feet evolves.
- Bachelor’s degree required with 5 to 10 years of pertinent experience.
- Experience in corporate finance, financial consulting and/or nonprofit financial management required
- Management experience required
- Experience developing new financial processes, procedures and systems in an entrepreneurial environment a plus
- Donor based nonprofit experience preferred but not required
- Ability to quickly assess the inner-workings of a localized national nonprofit structure to more effectively manage the accounting and financial operations.
- Ability to manage time responsibly and work additional hours as needed to complete reporting and projects in a timely manner such as quarterly close, quarterly board meetings, financial filings and year end close.
- Someone who takes initiative is proactive, self-motivated, hands-on and requires limited direction.
- Team oriented service style and able to effectively build consensus.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to adapt quickly to a fast paced, changing environment.
- Unquestionable integrity and highest ethical standards.
- Unequivocal passion for the organization and the members we serve.
- Willing to grow within a young entrepreneurial start up nonprofit
- Enrollment and Partnerships Manager, Let’s Get Ready
- Communications Manager, National Constitution Center
- Digital Media Specialist, National Constitution Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.