Museum and School Educator, Penn Museum
Posted by University of Pennsylvania on January 18, 2016
Unpacking the Past Museum and School Educator
Unpacking the Past (UTP) is a FREE program that connects middle school classrooms in Philadelphia public and Title I charter schools with the world-renowned collections and teaching resources of the Penn Museum.
The Museum and School Educator is responsible for learning and teaching a variety of workshops and gallery tours, both in the Penn Museum and in public school classrooms. The Museum and School Educator will be required to learn a significant amount of information about ancient Egyptian and ancient Roman civilizations and will need the ability to teach the content in an engaging and spirited manner.
Besides teaching, the Museum and School Educator will create extension lessons (both pre and post UTP experience) that will help teachers make the most of the UTP program while also covering the skills their students need to learn anyway. The Museum and School Educator will create lessons for all subjects so teachers can easily work together on a grade-level team if they choose. Eventually, we hope the Museum and School Educator will work closely with a few interested schools on in-depth extension projects. Some weekend and evening work may be required.
· Bachelor’s degree in education, history, anthropology, or related field preferred
· 2 years of experience teaching in urban schools
· Flexible personality and engaging, creative teaching style
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Proven Common Core-aligned lesson-planning experience
· Valid driver’s license required
· Attention to detail and good organization/time management skills a must
· Criminal background, Child Abuse Clearance and FBI fingerprinting required upon hire
Applicants must apply through the Jobs@Penn website. The job posting can be found here. No phone calls will be accepted for the position.
- Digital Resource Specialists (Part-Time), Free Library of Phila.
- Grants Manager A/B (Hybrid Eligible), Netter Center
- Graduate Research Assistant, Partners for Campus-Community Engagement
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.