Motivos Self-Discovery Edition Launch and Side Hustle 101 Closing Celebration – Aug 25
Posted by Motivos Magazine on August 23, 2022
Youth magazine launches Self-Discovery-themed edition in conjunction with entrepreneurial programs Biz Side Hustle 101 and Ride Free. Then takes kids to the Phillies game!
Motivos magazine will launch its new Self-Discovery-themed edition on August 25th and then take two busloads of mentees and their families to enjoy a Phillies baseball game for Latino Family Night. The evening’s events will be held in partnership with SriiConsulting’s Biz 101 Side Hustle Boot Camp and spotlight the entrepreneurial supports offered by Ride Free. Additional support for the evening provided by Impact Services, Alexis Home Care and the Philadelphia Phillies. “Our youth are so talented! When they combine book smarts with street smarts, there’s no stopping them. We’re very much looking forward to celebrating the commitment and creativity of our youth,” Motivos founder and Media Mentorship Program instructor Jenée Chizick Agüero said. “This event will celebrate the accomplishments of the future entrepreneurs the creative economy of Philadelphia at its best,” Side Hustle 101 Founder and Teacherpreneur Sam Reed said.
Two celebratory events will take place simultaneously. The public is invited. Here’s what to expect at each:
Discovery Center, at 3401 Reservoir Dr, Philadelphia, PA 19121, August 25, 4:30-6pm
- At the Discover Center, Motivos will officially release their new Self-Discovery themed edition and honor the young writers in their Media Mentorship Program who accomplished nationally published author status. Youth will share motivations behind their published stories and showcase their creative work. High school seniors in the program will move into paid apprenticeship positions at the magazine. Each year, 15 youth receive a one-on-one writing coach, weekly journalism training and trips to explore college and career opportunities. They are in the decision-making seats when deciding themes and content for what is now the nation’s largest bilingual magazine with youth-generated content.
- Business 101 Side Hustler Boot Camp will celebrate accomplishments of summer participants of their 30-day accelerator course designed to help aspiring entrepreneurs channel their ideas, passions, hobbies, and side hustles into viable business projects. Program graduates will receive $200 in start-up funds for their own side hustle or passion project. This course sets them up with the means to run their very own business or side hustle,” Sam Reed noted.
- Creative Demonstrations (Art, Video, Fashion) and Sustainable Side Hustles produced by Students from the U School’s Agriculture, Food, Natural Resource (AFNR) CTE program will also be on display at the event. Refreshments will be served.
Ride Free, at Impact Services at 1952 E Allegheny Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19134, August 25, 4:30-6pm
- At Ride Free, Motivos will officially release their new Self-Discovery themed edition and honor the 14 youth who participated in two Motivos Summer Video Camps and the seven who participated in Motivos Leadership Series held at Centro Nueva Creación this summer.
- Motivos Video Camp Instructor, Ramses Montes, will showcase the short videos created by youth in the camps and share the importance of such programs in the communities we serve. Video campers received instruction on videography throughout the twice-weekly six-week camp, produced and edited short videos and received a tablet upon completion of the program. Motivos Leadership Series participants went through trainings on team-building, mindfulness, reflection and future-planning in a series of three intense two-hour workshops over the course of the summer.
- Event attendees will receive a copy of Motivos brand new edition, hear from the student participants and be invited on a tour of the Ride Free facilities that offer free access to entrepreneurial equipment like a heat press to make T-shirts, a market to sell what you create, recording studio and sound engineer services, women’s empowerment zone, green screen and event space.
When both events conclude at 6pm, a bus will be waiting to take attendees to Latino Family Night at the Phillies.
RSVP to attend the event and get on wait list for baseball tickets.
- Jenée Chizick Agüero, c. 215-605-9742
- Sam Reed: 267-242-6626
- Raniyah Lawrence -Ashford – 215-303-1948
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- Igniting Racial Equity: Understanding the Building Blocks of a Quality Early Childhood Education System – Oct 1
- Philadelphia Premier Networking Event, Urban Affairs Coalition – Nov 18
- PA Health Access Network (PHAN) Election Forum – Sep 30
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.