members sought, Mill Creek Farm Board of Directors
Posted by on May 27, 2013
Mill Creek Farm Board of Directors
Call for Nominations 2013
Mill Creek Farm is an educational urban farm located in West Philadelphia that is dedicated to improving local access to fresh produce, building a healthy community and environment, and promoting a just and sustainable food system.
Mill Creek Farm (MCF), a 501c3 non-profit organization, is currently undergoing a transition in leadership and we are seeking new board members with vision, energy and strong skill sets in organizational management to help make decisions about the future of the farm. New board members will work closely with existing board members, MCF staff, and the consultant who has been guiding our planning process. The term for the MCF Board is two years with the option to renew up to three terms. It is a working Board, thus a time commitment and active participation beyond board meetings is required.
We are open to all nominations but are especially interested in new board members with skills and experience in the following areas:
· Financial skills/ability to serve as Treasurer (accounting, bookkeeping, financial oversight etc.)
· Grant writing skills and other writing skills for materials, reports, etc.
· Fundraising contacts, experience and skills
· Institutional fundraising contacts (foundations, government, etc.)
· Individual donor development skills
· Successful participation on other nonprofit boards
· Legal skills
· Project administration/staff management
· Leadership in non-profits (experience working as an Executive Director or consultant, experience with transitions in leadership, strategic planning, decision-making).
· Event coordination skills
· Program evaluation
· Meeting facilitation skills
We expect all board members to have a commitment to food justice and the overall mission of the Mill Creek Farm. Residents of the Mill Creek neighborhood are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Attend and show up prepared for monthly board and committee meetings. Being prepared includes having read the agenda, previous meeting minutes, reports and other relevant material
· Establish, update and ensure adherence to the organization’s mission, vision and value statements
· Be familiar with and ensure compliance with the organization’s bylaws and other legal documents
· Provide strategic direction to the organization
· Complete and fulfill commitments made in the annual board pledge form, including:
o Making an annual contribution of personal significance, at least part of which is received during the first quarter of the fiscal year
o Solicit financial and other support from social networks
o Participate in fundraising
· Participate in hiring, supporting and potentially firing the Executive Director
· Participate in reviews of the Executive Director, the Board and the organization
· Be accessible to and willing to share expertise with board members and staff
· Attend the annual fundraiser and additional MCF events each year
· Approve and monitor annual budget, as well as MCF’s overall finance situation
· Monitor and ensure the organization’s financial health
· Promote MCF externally
· Sign and adhere to the conflict of interest policy
· Serve on a board committee
How to Nominate:
Nominations should be submitted to Johanna Rosen by June 17, 2013; submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Board nomination” in the subject line.
Nominees must accept the nomination before they can be considered by the Nominations Committee. Self-nominations are accepted and encouraged.
Nominations should include contact info for the nominee, a bio for the nominee, a statement about why you are nominating this candidate and an explanation of the skills and expertise that they would bring to the Board (including information about which of the above skills and knowledge needs he or she can fulfill). Please contact Nico Amador at email@example.com with questions or suggestions.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Service Leadership Corps for Veterans – Aug 24
- Volunteers Needed: PCCY’s Games Day for Kids – Aug 5
- Volunteer Opportunities with TechGirlz
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.